Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2007, 04:00 AM   #1
heraclitus

Default AppleScript, command line and rendering

Hi,

I am using AC3D 6.2 on Mac OS X 10.4.10 PPC.

I am playing a bit with AC3D. Here is what I am trying to do.
I want AC3D to give me a render preview of my scene using a Renderman renderer (3Delight for instance). I used Tools -> Render. There I chose Renderman as "output file type", renderdl (3Delight rib binary) as "render program", some options in "render parameters". Nothing happened.
I supposed that AC3D didn't know how to send renderdl to a Terminal window (as renderdl is a Unix executable to be used in a Terminal).
I then wrote a really, really basic AppleScript, saved as an application, containing one line:
do shell script "/Applications/Graphics/3Delight-6.5.0/bin/renderdl -p 0 -d /Users/jeanmichel/Desktop/ac3d_renderman.rib"
By specifying the new app in "render program" I got my render preview.
But I really don't know anything about AppleScript. And I would need someone to improve my poor scripting. Here everything is hardcoded in the script: render program, parameters, input file name. I would like AC3D to pass all of them as variables to my AppleScript app to make it more flexible and actually usable. I tinkered a bit with Automator too, but too no avail.

Anyone can help?

Jean-Michel
heraclitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 04:02 PM   #2
heraclitus

Default Re: AppleScript, command line and rendering

Hi,

I gave another try to Automator (on Mac OS X Tiger).

I wrote a small app which asks for AC3D rib's output file name and passes it to renderdl (3Delight) in a shell script. That's the app you have to specify in Tools -> Render -> Render program.

I've attached a screenshot of the Automator workflow for Mac users who would be interested. You 'll have to save the workflow as an app. before using it.

Jean-Michel
Attached Images

Last edited by heraclitus; 2nd July 2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
heraclitus is offline   Reply With Quote