Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd November 2003, 08:23 PM   #1
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default SW03 wasp

Well I haven't gotten any over-bandwidth warnings from Earthlink yet, so here it goes.
This is the latest model that I've been working on. It's going to be part of another scene that I'm also currently working on. I call it the SW03 wasp. It can hover like a helicopter, but also has the capability of limited space flight. It's hovering ability is controlled not only by the 2 front directional jets under the cockpit, but the rear main jet engine as well has a directional cowling that directs the engine's blast up and down, left and right.
As you can see as well it's been through a few scuffles and is about due for an overhaul.

-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2003, 12:29 AM   #2
Razer
Professional user

Default Re: SW03 wasp

looks great like always woody. How are you doing the mirror effect? I cheated a bit to get it but I've been looking at different ways to render pics cause i'm looking at doing some renders of some WW2 combat using models i've made. Any tips?
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2003, 01:00 AM   #3
-WOODY-
Professional user

Thanks. I just used a simple "finish" setting that I put in the floor's object properties box.
You can find those different settings in the "Pov-Ray for newbies" section. I've been experimenting with other settings so I guess I need to update that section.
Old 24th November 2003, 01:17 AM   #4
-WOODY-
Professional user

OOooooohhhhh, ROFL. I just figured out how you did it. I looked at your picture closer and it looks like you duplicated your model and made everything transparent. I saw the the full canopy through the body of the plane.
I didn't even notice that before lol.
Old 24th November 2003, 11:15 AM   #5
Razer
Professional user

yea I cheated. What I did for the P-38 model was mirror the plane then make the floor semi transparent and that made the model under the floor look like a real reflection of the real plane.
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2003, 11:25 AM   #6
-WOODY-
Professional user

I never would have thought to do it that way, pretty innovative. You can try this for starters: After creating a header file just select your floor and bring up the object property box. Put in this statement:

finish { F_MetalD }

The "D" stands for the level of reflectivity. Those settings range from A to E and E being the shiniest.
There are all kinds of settings and effects that you can do and everything that I've mentioned in the Pov for newbies section is not even half of it. I've been playing around with it and trying to figure out a way to generate realistic smoke. My thought was that if I create a scene using the wasp, I'd like to be able to make a smoke trail coming off of the engine. I know it can be done, so I'll keep piddling around till I figure it out.
Of all the manuals that I've come across, there's none that tell you how to set up your modeling program to render to Pov-Ray. Evey manual is from the perspective of creating an entire scene from within Pov-Ray.......very irritating.
Old 24th November 2003, 02:15 PM   #7
Cowboybebop
Professional user

You should put that one in the gallery looks great
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote