Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd October 2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Steven
Advanced member

Default WHICH VIDEO CARDS ARE YOU USING with AC3D? Recommendations?

Hi,

My video card is old now and offer limited capability and performance. I have an ATI Rage Fury pro that support OpenGL but has difficulty to display multiple OpenGL windows. Therefore erratic behaviour and slow speed occur from time to time when using AC3D. The card is also slow with the latest video games like GhostRecon, StarWars Jedi Knight 2 Outcast, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II... If I can make them run, I must limit the resolution and visual effects... and the frame rate is still poor at some occasions. Also the card do not support bump mapping, shadow, reflection via hardware. Antialias, forget it. I cannot use these great visual effects with Chess Master 9000 for example.

I need to upgrade to a newer card and I was looking for a video card that offer good performance, reliability and compatibility and that works very well with AC3D. Say for a price range of ($ = US currency)

a) $50 -$100 (highest odds that I spend that money)
b) $100 - 200 (probably, if its really worth it)
c) >$200 (however I am not ready to spend that money yet... maybe in two years!)

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

The strategy is to get a good card, still better than what I have at a decent price and wait a couple of years before buying a high end card like the ATI Radeon 9800XT for example.

I wish to hear your experience - good or bad - with your video card, that is How do you like your video card?...strenght, weakness, recommendation, price/performance ratio, what is a good deal etc. And of course what would you recommend to me!

I personnaly own a:
- Pentium III (coppermine) 1GHz with 768Mbytes of memory.
- Use both Windows XP PRO and Windows 98 on the same computer system. (AC3D is used on Window XP pro).
- ATI RageFury Pro (rage128 chipset) with 32Mbytes video RAMS.

Thanks,
Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote