Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th October 2004, 07:06 PM   #1
AndyH
Advanced member

Default Texture manipulation improvements

I would like the texture commands extended to the Surface menu and some additions to the Set Texture Repeat/Offset dialog:

1. Add a texture command to the surface menu with Set Texture Repeat/Offset

2. This to take you to the screen we have now for the same command under the object menu, but with these enhancements:

a) Ability to change Remap(ping) to Front (XY), Side (ZY), Top (XZ), Spherical as found on the Texture Coordinate Editor.
b) The Rotate CW and CCW commands from the Texture Coordinate Editor.

I have been working through a problem of texture mapping in this thread which also contains a picture of what I am doing. I think in some situations, the controls for texturing are very much a weak point in Ac3D. I think I would prefer to see this enhanced before any other feature enhancement.
Old 31st October 2004, 05:20 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Like the texture itself, the texture repeat values are object based, so they can't be applied to individual surfaces.

Remember you can maximise the TCE window to fullscreen and zoom in for more precise adjustment.

You can also 'fake' texture repeating by enlarging the selection in the TCE. Making it o outside the default 0->1 size means that the texture will repeat (although the current TCE doesn't allow you to tile the texture on the background of the TCE).

Hope this helps,

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2004, 06:22 AM   #3
AndyH
Advanced member

Well the texture repeat is not so important I guess, but if there could be some controls to the surface level, even if just UV and possibly the remap function? The method you describe for texture repeat in the TCE is what I have done in part.

I am doing my best with the TCE, and getting used to it, but I am in desperate need to have accurate control of the positioning as I need to apply the same settings to a number of similar shapes in separate objects.

I can see where the TCE is really powerful and useful, and I guess for what it is desgined to do it does it very well, but I could really do with something on the surface level (either in the TCE or under the surface menu as a new dialog) to give the precise control I am after.
Old 31st October 2004, 06:43 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Switch to surface selection-mode and only those surfaces will appear in the TCE. Then you can remap just those surfaces.

Andy
Old 31st October 2004, 12:40 PM   #5
AndyH
Advanced member

Yes, I am finding the TCE has a lot of flexibility. The car texturing example on the site shows what you can do with most situations, and being able to interactively select the object, surfaces is great. Still no problem with that, just there is no control by entering values directly.

On my model for instance I have six triangles. Two forming a rectangle on the right, two in the middle forming a rectangle and two on the left. I want the middle texture to start exactly 50% offset (on U and V) from the ones on the left and right. I can make a best guess in the TCE to do this but for the type of texture, even just a pixel out will show up when I make other models that have to join up with the same texture offsets.

I did try making them as separate objects, do the texture offset from the object menu then joining them together with Object - Combine, but the texture UV's get reset on both when I do this. Also I found a bug when I undo this operation I get a duplicate object with one triangle placed underneath. I have the file where this can be demostrated if you would like a copy to look at.

If there's no possibility to see a texture command under the Surface menu, the next best thing would be some improvements to the TCE.

I'd like to be able to specify a +ve or -ve value in an X and Y field, click apply and see the selected surface or vertex (depending upon which mode selected in the TCE) move by that amount. Also I would like to be able to move these with the keyboard, eg: press UP arrow and move the selected vertex/surfaces by a set amount. Currently this moves the view.
Old 31st October 2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Please do send the bug file and details.

May be able to add some kind of numeric interface to the TCE in the future.

Andy
Old 1st November 2004, 07:38 AM   #7
~J~

Have to say, it's something that I too would find incredibly handy!

Whilst the TCE is very very friendly and easy to use, a lot of the time I have to judge things by eye, quit out, load into my app and see if they look good.

Wording on the texure, or hard-textured shading is a prime example of when to use.

If this could be implemented, a simple control box to add the X/Y coodinates of each vertex would be fantastic.
~J~ is offline   Reply With Quote