Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
aonyn

Default Slide vertices along related edges

Hi Andy,

I have a request, I don't know how reasonable it is, but it would definitely be a great addition to ac3d. (In fact, it is perhaps the one biggest thing I miss when using ac3d vs some other 3d apps I also use, and with this I would have little need for anything else than ac3d.)

Would it be possible to add a took which allows you to select a vertex, or a loop of vertices, and slide them interactively along connected edges (directly toward a connected vertex or loop of vertices.

Ideally the workflow would be...
Select a vertex or vertex loop.
Select slide tool
Click and drag in active window and vertices move toward another loop uniformly (or single depending selection)
Release mouse button and the vertices keep their new position along the edge.

This can be done now with a lot more work, using the move toward plugin, but for loops especially, it is time consuming because you must do it one vertex at a time. Also, you don't get interactive results, so it is just not as intuitive for me as the tool I am describing, which is common in other modelers. Also of course, you can currently move a loop and then adjust with scale and vertex tweaks, but again, it is no where near as fast and accurate as the tool I am describing.

I understand if this is not a reasonable request, and that ac3d does not handle edges the way some other 3d apps do, but if possible, it would make ac3d much more efficient for me, and I would be able to use it almost entirely in my modeling work.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
aonyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Globalempire

Default Re: Slide vertices along related edges

Sounds like a great idea to me Dave.

I have Carrara which has a tool called 'move along' which is similar to what you are describing. Most important thing is to maintain the overall shape of the object, just move the loop as required.

Paul
Globalempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Cynic
Expert member

Default Re: Slide vertices along related edges

There's been a few times I needed this, so I like this idea.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote