Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th November 2005, 02:56 AM   #1
Scotty_Boi

Default Gundam

im new to ac3d and have only made about 7-10 "projects" (more like tests) and am makeing a 'Zaku II' from the 'Mobile Suit Gundam' series. i have a ways to go, mostly detailing and weapons. but its too blocky, and i cant figure out a good way to solve that problem. subdividing just makes creases in the surface, and 'smooth shape' puts it out of preportion. any help and/or comments is more then welcome. thanks.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/25612259/
Scotty_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Very nice - looks very stylish.

I'd recommend starting with a box and extruding from there e.g. for a leg, make a box, Surface->divide it and then extrude to make it longer and add more sections, Then you can move the vertices to change the shape.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Scotty_Boi

i didnt think of that, thanks. 8)

(by the way, me being a noob and all... you did mean like a 'flat' box, or a cube?)

--Scott
Old 25th November 2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Start with cuboid of some kind.

If you want to make a regular box - click instead of dragging one out.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 01:57 PM   #5
ShaneS

One of the problems you have with your model is that you've started off by drawing the side/front-on view and extruded it to make essentially a thick version of a cutout.

You need to use different techniques to model different parts.

Take the left shoulder shield for example. That is a round, almost sphere shape. Use a sphere as your base object and deform it to approximately the right shape. Then delete the surfaces you don't need to turn it into a shell, and move the vertices on the edges to make it into a nice, smooth(ish) shape. You can then apply division and smoothing.

Look at each section of the body in turn and consider how you'd model it to make the right shape. The upper leg of a Zaku is rounded, almost a barrel shape. You can't use a shape that has been extruded out the way you've done it to easily achieve this (well, you can but it's more effort).

Start by drawing a polygon of what you think that leg section would look like from the top down - an oval of some kind. Now extrude it downwards for a bit and and expand the size of the new surface. You now have something that looks like a chopped-off cone. Extrude the new surface down some more (remembering to delete the original). Now extrude it again and reduce the size of the end surface. You have something that looks like a cylinder that narrows at the top and bottom. You can now divide and smooth to get a rounded upper leg.

If there's enough interest, I could put together a tutorial or something.
ShaneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Scotty_Boi

hmm, kind of confusing. but ill sure give it a try.

(oh, and by my own opinion, there is more then enough interest for a tutorial 8))

--Scott
Old 26th November 2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Scotty_Boi

here is a fighting scene i put together of 3 Zakus vs 2 GMs, it has a crappy photoshoped desert in the background, but it seems better then the default gray. if you want to see all of the model in ac3d, i dont have a problem sending it to you, just post a reply saying so.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25701440/

--Scott