Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
NealC

Default Suggested Improvements/Corrections

I really like AC3D and I am looking forward to the new release.

There a couple of things I would like to see improved.

Alot of the models I get are not centered and do not have the correct scaling. I have been using the "MoveTo" to center the object. Then I scale but the scale does not use X,Y,Z = 0,0,0 as the origin of the scale. So when then model is scaled, the 0 points are lost.

Also after I have scaled the model, the resolution in the upper left hand corner is too course to recenter the object. It would be nice to be able to increase the resolution on those numbers. Now that the model has been scaled, now when I zoom into the model, it will disappear. I am assuming there is some "fixed" minimum distance where you cut off viewing the model? The distance should be set by the user or scaled from the size of the model.

Now this one is a "love to have" but would require some work. It would be nice to export the model as a call list that could be compiled. I use Deep Exploration for this but it would be nice if I could do it from AC3D.

Still a nice app and it really helps me with my job.

Thanks
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 01:20 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

It sounds like you should do the scale before the move.

Change File->settings->advanced->info-decimal-places (and restart).

The 3D model will zoom around it's current center. If you find that you are zooming too far, try selecting a central part of the model and pressing 'f' to center the 3d view on this - then you'll be able to zoom really close.

Export->Vrml-2-Proto will export protos which you can then instance seperately, is this what you need? Or do you mean export the source code to create an OpenGL display list? (if so, see the AC3D loader/viewer on the resources page)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 08:24 AM   #3
NealC

Thanks for the decimal setting. I didn't know it existed.

The scaling stuff does not center correctly. I have attached a before and after picture to illustrated. The origin (0,0,0) does not stay fixed to the object after scaling. It is shifted relative to the object. It shouldn't do this.

http://members.cox.net/conrarn/Original.JPG
http://members.cox.net/conrarn/Scaled.JPG

No I am not looking for a loader, those are too slow. Deep Exploration allows one to export the object as code. Here is an example.

http://members.cox.net/conrarn/wheel.cpp

Congratulations on the new release. AC3D 6.0 is very good application.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote