Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th September 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Default Suggestion for developing tubes

Any suggestions on developing tube like structures (as in veins) coming out of a heart? I could use cylinder function, and replicator, but wondered if there were any easier ways by doing this in a 3d area. Would be nice to have a function where you can click a point as "begin", and a point as "end" and have AC3D create some kind of object between the two?
dre99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Try this:

http://www.ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 08:50 AM   #3
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Gave that a quick try, but was not able to get very far (unless you could provide a bit more detailed step by step instructions?).

I was able to create an elipse, then extrude it to about 20 steps (cap on only). Then I would individually move each slice of vertices to get the bend I want from the "tube". But, in 3d, it would appear very squarish on the bends. I tried selecting the object, adding more vertices, then using "smooth" under Vertices menu, got it to look somewhat cleaner, but still not as smooth as the one in the link you provided.

Any other tips?

PS. I tried doing the same thing by using "create subdivision", and got much better (cleaner) results. Smotther bends. But, on some bends, the tube looks squashed from moving the slice of vertices too much. But I may be able to work with it...
Old 15th September 2004, 09:34 AM   #4
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Old 15th September 2004, 09:37 AM   #5
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Old 15th September 2004, 09:40 AM   #6
foxa
Professional user

Don't forget to select the verticees at each joint and rotate to disect the angle.

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 09:58 AM   #7
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Like this?

I noticed it becomes cumbersome if you have many objects behind this object, selecting a slice of vertices you begin to select vertices from other objects as well.
Old 15th September 2004, 11:49 AM   #8
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

You have the right idea. If you are making a object which is to have subdivision switched on, you don't need so much detail in the object - subdivision adds that.

Try downloading the file www.ac3d.org/ac3d/forumpics/cable.ac

If you have having trouble working on an object because it's obscured by others, use hide and lock (on conbtrol panel).

The model looks great - like a futuristic laboratory machine - what is it?

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 03:23 PM   #9
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Great, thanks!

I've only been using this program for 2 weeks (actually first time I attempted doing 3d CAD design). That itself says wonders on how easy it is to use this program (so far).

I am in the midst of convincing my company (www.dpcweb.com) that this program has potential before we opt to purchasing a few licenses (if it gets good reviews).

This is a prototype fluid mixing system with paristalic pumps. All parts, including the frame and such, are exact dimensions to 100th of an inch (which works well with AC3D). This helps us see how much room we have for positioning components, and I can easily pick a pump (or bottle) as a group (ctrl-left click in 3d view) and just move it somewhere else. Our guys here in Mech.Eng department take minutes to do the same with their 3D rendering.

AC3D does it in seconds, and for the price, this thing is a steal.

I am continuing to add more parts to this model and, if things go well, I plan to do a write up using AC3D as the test bed for conceptualizing the design. I will take photos of the final product for comparison, will be nice.

There will be a few dozen tubes that I must design, and they will take time. The bad part there is, if a pump or bottle is moved, the tube will have to be redrawn again. But, I plan to save the tubes for the last step.