Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th September 2007, 02:56 AM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default Double normals and changng color

I am new. I was able to create half a globe (a sphere and then delete half of the vertices), but, only one side is visible, and it becomes invisible when I rotate it. How do I get AC3D to convert this object so that both sides have normals, and you can see the inside as well as the outside? NOTE: I achieved this in a round about way, but flipping the normals , then creating another sphere and slicing it in half, and then merging the two objects - not a good solution because the headlight view showed a black "ghost" where the two half spheres were not exactly on the same vertices.

Assuming there is a simple way to instruct AC3D (v6.0) that all surfaces should be visible ON BOTH SIDES, then, how do I change the color from the default gray, so that, say, the outside would be a dim red and the inside would be a dim yellow?

That way, when I rotate this half sphere (with only headlight), then I could easily distinguish the inside from the outside.

Thanks. Jerrylynnb
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 03:53 AM   #2
tbd
Professional user

Default Re: Double normals and changng color

Well, not all you ask for is possible. You can select the object and make it 2-sided. Its down in the corner under"set surface type" Just click 2s. You can not have one color on the outside and another on the inside. This because the surfaces in theory are the same. When exporting the model you loose the 2 sided surfaces, and althoug some renderers show the backside, others just show nothing where there should have been a surface. So always make sure the normal points the right way when modeling. The 2 sided surfaces are just for ease of modeling.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 01:32 PM   #3
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Thanks, tbd, that worked perfectly. I realize that I can only count on ONE side when I export, but, for developing a model, this 2-sided attribute is very nice. For example, I could quickly model the shell of an egg cut in half (the bottom elongated half, using the stretch tag) - this is great.

About color, even though I can't have different colors for the inside and outside, is it possible to quickly change that default color, without having to use texture? I envision making several different objects like this, but, each one having a differnt color while it is being developed.

Thanks again.
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 01:50 PM   #4
tbd
Professional user

No problem. Once again down in the corner. Select the object and click on one of the colors you see there. Its 15 default colors to choose from.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote