Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Tempest

Default You know what it feels like when you want to just throw the PC out the window?

Well, I'm almost at that point right now

Trying to work out the Texture Coordinate editor and the UV map for a SL sculptie.

And it just feels like I am pressing buttons with no idea what I am doing, and just getting a bit hot under the collar that learning something like this just seems to be wild stabs in the dark.

What someone (who knew how) could tell me in 5 mins, I could spend a week trying to guess and still be no nearer the answer.

Kinda makes it frustrating.

Firstly, let me say, some things just "work" other things don't

I can load up the kindly supplied SL shapes and edit them around and just save them and they (apart from not having the full detail) work.

I can use a default cube shape (not touch it) save it as a sculptie and I get a "resonable" cube. Bit woolly around the edges, but ok.

If I so much as touch the Coord Editor and UV map (which you are supposed to do apparently for SL) then it all falls to pieces.

I've seen the example of the fish (herring?) and tried to understand, but it just says something, I do the same and end up with something different.

I want to stick with AC3D as it seems a great and resonably easy program to use, but the lack of how do you do something is getting to me.

Feel like I'm wandering alone in the mist without a map and no idea why I can't find my way home and just 1 person with a sat nav could solve all my problems!

Hopefully 1 day I will get somewhere, but the problem I find (and I'm sure other beginners find) is people used to 3D modelling software use terms that are not familiar so even when you get told an answer you are no nearer the sollution as you don't understand what you are being told as people (in the know) use terminology they understand rather then plain english.

I'm a toolmaker and even after 20+ years in the job, I hate terminologly speak and would much rather use english

Bake Textures before Exporting?
Making a UV map ?

I know what Boolean functions are thanks to using 3DSMax many years ago.
(Using one shape to cut a hole in another shape)

I find with any subject (even at work) it's hard getting from "ground zero" up to a "Starting to learn" point, as often a teacher will start with the terms you don't understand in the 1st place.

I'm sure I'm not alone here, and (like with SL) a year on and things that then seemed totally baffling and confusing now seem obvious.

The difference with SL is that is one of those things were you can SEE the effect things have, and learn from that.

With other things (3D packages) often you are presented with a wall of buttons and options and it's like trying to pick a lottery number, anything other than being 100% correct ends in faliure so you don't progress.

Perhaps there are some more Tutorials I can find on this subject?

Phew
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: You know what it feels like when you want to just throw the PC out the window?

Actually, the downloadable manual itself is not half-bad and covers a lot of the terminology. You can find it here:
http://www.inivis.com/ac3d/download/ac3dman64.pdf

There are also some tutorial movies:
http://www.inivis.com/tutorials.html

If there are specific things, post what you are looking for and perhaps someone here knows a good tutorial.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote