Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Developers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2006, 06:09 AM   #1
RobinM

Default What is global System

Hi,
Could someone please try explain what this means.
I'm new to 3D modelling, so plain english please.

The coordinates should be transformed to a global system, so that the vertex coordinates for each submodel/part does not refer to its own local origin. (The vertex transformation must be precalculated, not provided by means of a transformation matrix embedded in the .3ds file.)

Thank you. :shock:
Old 27th February 2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

A short answer is that local coordinates (location of each vertex) are specific to each model/object. Global coordinates express the location in the 3D world of your model/object.

This short answer probably isn't very helpful, however, if you're new to 3D.

If you could provide some context/information as to what you're looking for or trying to do, perhaps we could provide more assistance.

If it helps, where AC3D is concerned, at least with the later versions, all coordinates are expressed in global coordinates. Inivis could verify this, but I'm fairly certain this is the case.

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 03:04 AM   #3
RobinM

Thank you Dennis, I'm creating models of ships to be used in Teleplan, my customers spec for the models included this statement and before I began I need to know if I'm able to produce what they require. I have also been testing the 3ds export and have a query here.
I renamed a texture to meet the 8.3 rule and added the texture to an object, I copied the texture file into the same folder as the exported 3ds model. I then opened the 3ds using Caligari TrueSpace 3.2. Truespace asks me to "Locate 3DS SET File". I select cancel and I get a message 3ds texture maps will not be loaded.
I don't know what this is and the texture doesn't show. Even after rendering in TrueSpace.
Should I take this up with Caligari? I'm afraid that they might say it is AC3D ?!
Old 28th February 2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Dennis
Professional user

Unless I'm mistaken, any geometry you export with ac3d as .3ds will have its vertices expressed in global coordinates, so you should be fine there,

Your 3ds problem might be trueSpace 3.2 --- I have trueSpace 6.6, and geometry exported from an ac3d file does import correctly. Sounds like there may be something specific to the older 3ds file format that 3.2 is looking for as well??? Not being familiar with the 3ds format, it's hard to say...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote