Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th December 2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Hawk
Professional user

Default Aligning likes

Say I have an object that is completely symetrical about its center, like an automobile, and to save work I plot only one side, meaning cut down the centerline of the vehicle drawing only one half of this object.

Now I copy that one drawn side, flip it and the task is now to re-align the two pieces at the center. The question is how does one go about joining these two exact opposites so that these two pieces align exactlly, mating all the vertices at the joint? :?:
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Use Object->mirror.

You can also use the realtime mirror (view menu) whilst you model to see what your 'whole' object would appear as.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

If you do a standard mirror, it will place the new parts amongst the old ones, leaving you to move it into place (and introduce error!) manually.

Object>Mirror --> X Axis is your ticket if you're working with the standard front, LEFT side and Plan/TOP views.That will produce a new half in the proper position, on the other side of the Z axis line.
To make it all mate up right, and to make ONE part of any part that lies right along that Z axis, you have to Snap Together (or "weld") all the centerline vertice pairs. If you are EXACTING in your creation of the halves, and can be sure that the vertices are right on the center Z line, you can make one "Snap Vertices by distance" command with a small tolerance, like 0.0005, and provided all the centerline vertices are right on top of each other, they'll join up in one fell swoop. But if there's any close detail at the centerline, of vertices that should not be snapped together, then you have to be more careful.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 05:21 AM   #4
Hawk
Professional user

Default Aligning likes

Thanks, what I was missing is the vertices were not exactlly at the vertical centerline.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote