Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th October 2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Hinder

Default Tutorial Help

Hello everyone,
I'm new to AC3D and modelling all together. I have been trying out different modellers and so far AC3D has my vote hands down. The ease and navigation around the GUI has put the others to shame. My headache is still pounding from my Blender 3D experience. Anim8or is nice but the navigation is horrible. Anyways im not a modeller, I'm a programmer that wants to make some simple low poly count models for a game I'm working on and I don't want a piece of software that requires a P.H.D. to operate. I was trying a simple Anim8or tutorial with AC3d and I can't seem to get the results I want. the tutorial is Here. I can make the hand no problem but it seems dividing doesn't smooth it out. Can anyone give me some tips or tricks on how to smooth out a block model like that? Anyways I'm not a registered user yet but I'm heavily leaning towards this nice little software gem. Great job...

TIA

Hinder[/b]
Hinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

There's a sample like this with AC3D.

Load in the sample model 'subdivided hand'. Do this either from File->open or use the File->object-library and open up the samples that come with AC3D.

After making a basic shape, select the object and Tols->object-property-editor. Increase the subdiv level.

You can quickly make a hand from a 4x4 mesh, extruded into 3d - then extrude the fingers and thumb individually.

When subdividing, use quads, not triangles or polys (though they will work, quads are best). Don't leave any internal surfaces in the shape and make sure all surfaces face outwards. See the manual on extruding for more info on extrude parameters.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote