Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th August 2005, 06:28 PM   #1
Dennis
Professional user

Default Textures and groups

When you apply a texture to a Group of objects while in Group mode, the texture gets assigned to the group as well as to the objects in the group. If you then unassign the texture from all objects while in Object mode, the Group retains the texture. Then, even if you do not use the texture anymore, it gets loaded with the doc because of the group assignment.

This is a pronounced problem when it's a large texture, whereupon the doc is slower to open until I remove the texture by reselecting the group and setting "no texture" (which may not be practical if I've assigned different textures to the enclosed objects).

To demonstrate:

1. Create 2 boxes.
2. Group them.
3. While still in Group mode, assign a texture.
4. Switch to Object mode, then set No texture.
5. Save the document and exit AC3D.
6. Reopen the document, and you'll see the texture has reloaded (because it's still assigned to the group), even though you aren't really "using" it..

And, as mentioned above, if you then set two different textures to the 2 boxes in Object mode, the Group texture is only "clear-able" by reassigning a new texture while the Group is selected (blowing away your other texture assignments) or by manually editing the .ac file to remove the reference to the texture in the Group (not something I would think Inivis would recommend here).

Not a big deal for a couple of boxes, but could get hairy if there are many objects with different textures in the group...

Ok, that was my gripe for this year --- I'm sure it'll be another years or so before I find something else worth griping about
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote