Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Terry Capps
Professional user

Question Using POV-Ray 3.7 with ac3D?

Can anyone tell me how to set up POV-Ray v3.7 with ac3D? I downloaded POV-Ray v3.7 and installed it on my Windows 10 PC. I then set up ac3D to create the "ac3dpovfile.pov" and rendered a drawing. However, the image that POV-Ray generates is very low resolution. I didn't have this problem when I was using POV-Ray v3.5 on a Windows XP PC. The help file for POV-Ray is massive and doesn't have any hints about using it with ac3D. I tried to install POV-Ray v3.5 on my Windows 10 PC, but it doesn't work there.

Can anyone tell me how to set up POV-Ray v3.7 to work with ac3D?
Terry Capps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 08:30 PM   #2
jentron
Professional user

Default Re: Using POV-Ray 3.7 with ac3D?

There is a thread over here: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1903 that talks to POVRay in general. I've used POVRay 3.7 with AC3D 7 and 8 on windows 8 and linux without much problem. I do often hand edit the .pov files that ac3d generates, but ac3d does a much cleaner job than blender in exporting good .pov files.

In the "Render parameters" box you can put command line switches to control the POVRay output. My string "+P +A0.2 +FN32 +UA +w1100 +h700 ac3dpovfile.pov"
Means: Pause after Rendering, Antialiasing setting 0.2, output 32 bit PNG files, Using an alpha channel, 1100 pixels wide, 700 pixels high
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac3d_povray.png
Views:	74
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	3535  

jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Terry Capps
Professional user

Smile Re: Using POV-Ray 3.7 with ac3D?

Thank you for your prompt response.

POV-Ray version 3.7 didn't work for me with the Render Parameters that you specified, but it gave me a place to start. Eventually, I figured it out. POV-Ray allows you to accomplish the same thing in different ways, but I didn't find the HELP file very helpful when it came to simply using POV-Ray with ac3d.
Old 25th October 2017, 05:02 PM   #4
uffdaken
Advanced member

Hi there, I am trying to get POV-Ray v3.7 to work with AC3D v8.0.80. But keep get this message. Read the previous thread on making a header file and trying the above suggested settings. Have Windows 10 x64. Attached some pictures. Thanks.
Attached Images

uffdaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Terry Capps
Professional user

Smile Re: Using POV-Ray 3.7 with ac3D?

I had a similar problem until I downloaded the 64-bit version of Pov-Ray which uses (pvengine64.exe). Then I tinkered with the Render settings and AC3D's settings until I got it to work. My Render settings are attached.

I am using Windows 10 Home. If you are not using Windows 10, the 64-bit program may not work for you.

Good Luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Terry Capps; 25th October 2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:08 AM   #6
uffdaken
Advanced member

Still have the same problem. I have Windows 10 Pro x64. Went back to POV x64 version. I am wondering if the header file is correct and in the correct location. I made a include folder and place it in the root directory POV-Ray. I copied and paste the header.inc from the earlier post. Under settings I have:
#version 3.7;#include# "header.inc."
uffdaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 07:17 PM   #7
jentron
Professional user

Try putting a full path name in the "Output Filename: " box. I would guess from the error message AC3D is trying to open a file in a read-only directory.
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Terry Capps
Professional user

You may have to play with Windows 10. Specifically, the directory where ac3d 8.0.80 is located. This is where ac3d will attempt to put the ac3dpovfile.pov unless you specify otherwise. You may have to specify to Windows that the "ac3d Program" has permission to write to a file in this directory.

Or you may be able to specify the directory ac3d normally writes the "model" files to. if you do then you will have to tell Pov-Ray where to find the file to read in.

Last edited by Terry Capps; 27th October 2017 at 01:22 AM.