Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th April 2008, 11:27 PM   #1
Severa
Advanced member

Default Problem with sculpted prims in SL

I keep getting this sort of hollowed out issue (see picture.) I'm not really sure why or how do you cap the tops properly? I grabbed all the vertices's:-D and scaled them down but that never seems to work, just make things worse. If anyone can help, thanks is what I will say :-D

Anywhere is is the problem from top to bottom point it hollows out and you can see it here in this picture.

Severa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 05:31 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Problem with sculpted prims in SL

Looks like a discontinuity in the UV map. There's a couple of ways you could fix it:

Option #1 : Make sure the top and bottom seam, you may need to inside-out the UV map to do this. (I'm not really sure how to describe the process very well, but you push the middle out and turn the edges in on themselves until the map seams.)

Option #2: Use an LSL script to change your mapping mode to cylindrical with llSetPrimitiveParams.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Severa
Advanced member

hey, thank you for the reply.

I'd rather do option one, but not entirely sure what you mean. I don't know how to do option 2 really. You mean grabbing all the verticles at top and bottom, raising them up or away from the rest of the mesh then scaling them together as far as it goes? Can they be raised back down then?

Pictures maybe would help, I'm a quick learner. I don't know where to get that script or how to use it really.
Old 10th April 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Uh, heh heh, son-of-a-gun this is my mistake in the default shape and I never realized it until now. Doh! Thank you for pointing it out.

Rotate your UV map 90 degrees to the right. From the TCE, select all surfaces, and click the Rotate CW button. It will be perfect then.

To understand why, read here:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Scul...al_Explanation

Basically, SL has their Y and Z axes flipped from the rest of the known universe. Many programs have their Z going different directions, but positive Y is normally "up" regardless of which direction Z is. That's not true in SL: they don't use the same conventions as engineers or graphics systems like DirectX or OpenGL. They use the science convention instead where Y is forward\backward. It fowls me all the time. And so it did again.

I don't have time to do it today because I have some nasty deadlines at work, but I'll try to put out a new set of base shapes this weekend. I have some fixes on another plug-in I was planning to do this weekend anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: ac sphere-fixed.ac (23.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 10th April 2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Severa
Advanced member

Thumbs up Re: Problem with sculpted prims in SL

Thanks for the reply Lisa. You are the most helpful person I ever met when working with anything to do with SL. I look forward to the fixed shapes you release. I can out do anything my friends do with Maya and I had used Maya before and this program just does it better. I'm getting insane shapes sometimes. I'll give your fix a try now. Please let me know when you release those shapes too.
Old 14th April 2008, 07:02 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

I'm glad your enjoying it.

Give these a spin, tell me how they work for ya':
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...pted-prims.zip
Old 14th April 2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Severa
Advanced member

Hey Lisa, thanks for remembering, taking the time and posting these. I'll give them a try right now.

If people used this program they would find that it's so much easier to work with than anything else and really affordable. My only two biggest problems I have yet to find a good solution for is creating a uv map to texture and baking light in properly. I actually tried to find a good book on this but I haven't and I didn't really find anything too useful in the standard documentation. Other than those two hiccups, this app is a great tool for doing sculpted prims.

Last edited by Severa; 14th April 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Severa
Advanced member

Hey these are excellent. In that head you did, are you using the knife tool by chance?

I've been trying to do this: take all the verticles on the head for the chest above, and shift them all to the front since the backside is covered completely i thought moving it all to the front would have more detail to the map but i can't figure out how to do it like i would on maya or the term for it in ac3d to research it. Maybe it's not possible and i just need to use the texture coordinator. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Severa; 15th April 2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 18th April 2008, 06:20 PM   #9
lisa
Professional user

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite follow what you're trying to do.

The head is the "Ruth" head pulled right out of SL, I just re-mapped it so it would export as a sculpted prim. I stretched the face area, especially the nose, larger in the uv map so it would hold detail a little better.
Old 18th April 2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Severa
Advanced member

hey yeah, I had thought you changed it a little in the eyes and under the head where the neck connects. I wasn't sure.

Hey is there any good solid tools to bake lighting in that you know of? I was just curious. Also there is no way to control the degree of smoothing that is applied when you smooth something in AC3D is there? I found myself working on something and putting in extremely HARSH details, and by smoothing after it worked better but usually have to keep reworking sections. Sorry I ask so many questions.