Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th May 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Aligning vertices

Hi,

I would like to know how you guys proceed to align some vertices on a diagonal ?

For example :

How would you proceed to align perfectly these 3 selected vertices on a diagonal starting from the bottom selected vertex and ending at the top selected vertex ?

I think that it can only be done manually, but just in case I'm missing something, I ask you the question.

In the case it can only be done manually, I think a new aligning tool/option could be very handy for high geometrical shapes ...
Old 14th May 2006, 11:48 AM   #2
griff
Professional user

Lol ... a little quiz for a Sunday afternoon luuckyy ;-)

Try this:

1. In vertex mode, highlight the three vertices, then Vertex-->Create convex surface. (A new triangle is created as a seperate object.)

2. Hide the original object, then select the top and bottom vertices of the new triangle, then Vertex-->Insert Vertex. (A new vertex is inserted at the midpoint between the two.)

3. Highlight the inserted vertex, then in the Move/Size mode find the *Move To* utility on left panel and click the little button with the '>' on it. (The position of the vertex now shows up in the three boxes.)

4. Hide the triangle and show your orginal object. Highlight the centre vertex of the original three and click the 'Move To' button. (The center vertex moves to the new location.)

5. Delete the triangle you created.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 02:04 PM   #3
luuckyy
Professional user

Thank you very much griff.
Your trick works very well.

It becomes a little bit more complicated when you have more than one vertex to insert, and when these vertices aren't vertically aligned with those from the original object ...

But anyway, the convex surface diagonal now works like a marker if you decide to manually move your vertices.

Thanks !
Old 14th May 2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

I'd do this by selecting those vertices, squeezing the selection to zero width (effectively aligning the vertices) then rotate the vertices at the end you want to stay still. It's probably not as accurate, unless you rotate exactly about the first point - but it's quicker
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 03:00 PM   #5
griff
Professional user

Actually luuckyy ... the method I describe is a *special case*. It assumes that the vertical difference in height between the top and centre vertices = the vertical difference in height between bottom and centre vertices.

If it is not .... you have to add some more steps ..... but I'll let you figure those out

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 03:42 PM   #6
luuckyy
Professional user

Quote:
It's probably not as accurate, unless you rotate exactly about the first point
Yes the problem is that it rotates the vertices selection around the center of that selection ... so the bottom vertice moves along the z axis where it should idealy not move ...

We can't rotate a vertices selection other than from its center, do we ?

EDIT : YES we can ! In rotate mode and working manually in the views - Great I've just discovered that :roll: Thank you 8)

@griff, you have no mercy for my brain