Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2005, 08:12 AM   #1
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Tutorial: Creating heads in AC3D

Dennis contributed this excellent tutorial on creating heads from reference images.

This tutorial demonstrates the recently added Extrude-Edge and Create-Quad functions which are new to AC3D 5, and which Dennis designed.

The AC3D models featured are downloadable from the page.

<A HREF="http://www.ac3d.org/ac3d/tutorials/heads/">
Tutorial is here

</A>

Post any feedback about this tutorial here.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 09:04 AM   #2
PerFnurt
Expert member

Excellent!

Good explanation of the Create ordered surface and Complete Quad functions, which I hadn't figured out.

Btw, when I tried the Joan of Arc tutorial she unintentionally turned out more looking like an orc. Getting the zy stuff right is a bit tricky, imho.

Extrude Edge modelling is really fun!

www.perfnurt.se
PerFnurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 09:44 AM   #3
LiveWire
Professional user

nice. good work dennis.
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:01 PM   #4
DRAKELOT
Professional user

Default Xcellent .....

Thanks for the tut, been working on a full posable figure for Poser all model in AC3D ... I use the guides lines on your tutorial and the 3D max one ... Cool stuff. Just a couple of questions :

1) How do I sellect one vertex and add another one to fill up a hole ( You mention the counterclock wise) ... and then the make order surface, ... Don't know how to select those vertex ??? ... It's funny, the figure is even rigged now but never figure that out !!! ... Antonio. I use convexhall ???

2) Is there a way to create different groups in a single object, something like mats by color ???

Well , thanks and I'll post some images soon !!!

You can see her in the avatar (even with the walking cycle) ...

Antonio ... (Drakelot)
DRAKELOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 03:50 AM   #5
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Xcellent .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKELOT
1) How do I sellect one vertex and add another one to fill up a hole ( You mention the counterclock wise) ... and then the make order surface, ... Don't know how to select those vertex ??? ... It's funny, the figure is even rigged now but never figure that out !!! ... Antonio. I use convexhall ???
If I understand your question correctly, what you want to do is go into Vertex mode and select any vertices that are on the edges of a "hole" in your geometry. In the below pic, I have this scenario - if you select the vertices around the hole in the order shown, then perform a "Vertex -> Create Ordered Surface", this will fill the hole.

The ordering is important so the surface points the correct way. If you were "behind" the hole, you'd select the vertices in clockwise (reverse) order.

Quote:
2) Is there a way to create different groups in a single object, something like mats by color ???
There is no built-in way to group below the object level.

Depending on your other application, however, you could group surfaces on a single object by color/material if that helps. I've done the same thing when exporting to apps like Lightwave and trueSpace.

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 12:28 PM   #6
DRAKELOT
Professional user

Default Hi Dennis !!!

What I meant is :
How to select the vertices with out the rubber band and go eather way ?
I put the cursor on top of a vertice and then ... how do I snap the next one to the first on and so on ?
If I use the rubber band it doesn't work ...

What I did is to make the groups in the UVmapper from the mats in AC3D. I'm also making a male version of the figure. I'm starting all over again and with what I learn from the first one, I'm trying to do the grouping and mats from the simple (no divided) mesh. Then when I subdivide the mesh the groups and mat will be there (not so many quads). I'm trying by making small objects from the mat zones and cut-paste them to a new multi-object scene then merging them to 1 object !!!
BTW, cool new pluggins !!!
Just another question :

In the OBJ export (new), how can I get to export the correct names for the mats. I always end up with ACmat 01,02 ... If I do the export to 3D max it works but not for the wavefront OBJ. export ???
What I did is assign the names again in UVmapper !!!

Well, thanks for the promp aswer and I'm trying to upload some image here.
Antonio.
DRAKELOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 03:59 PM   #7
captainj2410
Professional user

Did you hold in the Shift key while selecting? That allows you to select multiple surfaces/vertices/objects/groups without having to use the lasso (rubber band) tool.

PS: incredible tutorial. It would help if I could draw faces though...
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote