Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th November 2003, 03:14 PM   #1
foxa
Professional user

Default Improved and increased Boolean functions

I would really like to see the Boolean operations beefed up. The existing plugin is a good start, but I am stiil having problems with fairly simple (I guess :wink: ) operations - like punching a hole in a flat plate. I have been looking at some of the upper end applications and it just isn't worth the overhead (cash and hardware) to aquire any of them. Don't get me wrong - you have a dynamite app here, but that would provide the greatest functionality for me and the work I am doing.

Thanks again

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2003, 10:07 AM   #2
Thaellin
Professional user

Default Re: Improved and increased Boolean functions

When you say you're having problems, could you explain what you're doing, what you expect and what you're actually seeing? Is the flat plate just a surface, or does it have three dimensions?

Thanks,
-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2003, 10:47 AM   #3
foxa
Professional user

Basically I am trying to subtract a cylinder from a flat poly and the bottom of the screen says something like generating bsp surfaces (I think). The hard drive is working but nobody's home, most of the time it just locks up AC3D, and some times it requires a reboot. If you like I can send a model of just before I try the boolean. I am running a dual 866 with 512mb of ram and an nvidea APG graphic card.

Thanks for the qick response

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2003, 11:47 AM   #4
Thaellin
Professional user

Hm - Well, doing an operation on a 2D object should not necessarily work as expected, but it should definitely not take over the system.

I'd really appreciate it if you could send me the file that causes the problem (support@virtualplatypus.com). I'd like to get the hang-up resolved for the next revision.

I'll let you know if I have any trouble reproducing the issue.

I expect, as a work-around, that you would be able to extrude the flat plate, use that in a boolean operation, then use vertex mode to select the extruded vertices, set surface mode to get all the attached surfaces, and delete.

Thanks for your help,
-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote