Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th October 2006, 10:34 AM   #1
jtdam09

Default Please help me with this whole thing!

I am new to the Graphics designing, and I need a lot of help. I am planning to make a trailer for school, and I have a mentor right now from this Culinary Arts College, but I haven't seen my mentor yet, and I need some help from you guys right now to be ahead when I see him/her. I am making two chinese girls fighting and flying around the stage(Like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a little bit), and one character has a black see through veil.

Okay the thing is, I need to know how to make these of the following

-Female heads, hair, and bodies

-Landscape

-Clothes

-The veil for one of them
and
-Details of the characters(Light, Shade, hair movements)
jtdam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Please help me with this whole thing!

I suggest you get fluent in the terminology of 3D modeling. Learn about what a viewport is, how to navigate, learn what a primitive object is, what a vertice is, what a surface is, what an edge is, what a normal is, what a material is, basic properties of objects and how to manipulate them...

Then learn about the ways to use the features.

So, your #1 job now is to go to the ac3d.org/downloads page and get the User Manual. It's pretty well written, not that initimidating, and fairly complete. Only after you understand the basics of 3D modeling do you have any hope of quickly coming to terms with creating objects as diverse as characters, landscapes and planning for animation/production.

If you're planning to animate these characters, you will need another program to do that: AC3D doesn't handle any animation.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 09:58 AM   #3
jtdam09

Oh ok. Right now, I am modeling one of my characters, and am doing the steps on that one post, and there could be a lot of problems by the way, like this one. I just added my box, and how to you adjust the vertexes.
Old 1st November 2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

Quick answer:

You have to be in Vertex mode to select or adjust vertices (as opposed to entire objects). Also, you need to be sure that Vertices are set to display in your ortho windows. Orth menu > Vertices. And also 3D menu > Vertices Make sure "Vertices" is checked in each of those menus. Once in Vertex mode, click on any one vertice in an ortho window to select it, or drag a box across a group of them to select groups. Similarly, hold down the Shift key and click/drag on selected vertices to deselect them. Watch your ortho views carefully when selecting; sometimes clicking on one vertex in a view may select several other vertices "behind" it. Watch your orthos views and the red bounding box that describes the dimensions of any selection. If you're trying to select one vertice on one side of your model, but the red box is describing a much larger area, you've inadvertently selected more vertices than you thought.

More important: slooooooow doooooooown. You have to know how to navigate around the program and get familiar with how this kind of software works before you can really get to grips with creating anything. Get the .pdf manual from the Downloads page of www.ac3d.org. Take a few hours to read the manual while you poke around the program. This will save you a LOT of aggravation in the long run.

AC3D is really easy to use, but not if you don't understand even the basics. I strongly suggest you learn the simplest things before you try to create something and get in over your head.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
Windows 7
CH Pedals
Old 1st November 2006, 10:52 AM   #5
jtdam09

I'm sorry about that. I thought it was just videos, you can look at the tutorials in .pdf as well?
Old 1st November 2006, 10:54 AM   #6
jtdam09

Oh, never mind about the tutorial thing.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:14 AM   #7
jtdam09

I also have another question about the vertex. How do you get into vertex mode, or how do you put up the Vertex view. I have vertices checked on both orth and 3D.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:19 AM   #8
jtdam09

Oh, I think I will be ok for a while.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Stiglr
Professional user

Vertex Mode is entered by clicking on the button in the top left hand of the icon-driven navigation. It shows a box with a glowing green dot on one corner.

But, this points to what I posted before:

Quote:
More important: slooooooow doooooooown. You have to know how to navigate around the program and get familiar with how this kind of software works before you can really get to grips with creating anything. Get the .pdf manual from the Downloads page of www.ac3d.org.
You really should know the differences between Object Mode, Surface Mode, and Vertice Mode (as well as Group Mode) before you ever draw your first primitive!!! Not trying to be a nag, but it's true. Do yourself a solid and go back to Square One. A few hours spent at this will clear up a LOT of problems you will definitely have in the very near future if you don't know what you're doing.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
Windows 7
CH Pedals
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:17 AM   #10
jtdam09

I think I know which one is which now. I just coudn't understand things at 1st, and I am working on the model that I have. Although it might take a while to do. I also printed the modeling forum just to help me a little bit on the body.