Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th December 2007, 02:31 AM   #1
jimhorner

Default Newbie question regarding texture mapping

Hello, I'm a newbie to ACAD, and I've got some questions which I'm hoping someone here can answer. I've done some searching of the forum, but I can't find the answer. Probably because I'm so new that I don't even know what to search for.

Some background first. I'm in the process of designing an RC model airplane of a one-off 1930's era racer. As part of the whole process, I like to create a simulation model to see how the design might fly prior to actually building the model. I've used the popular FMS simulator in the past with Metasequoia as the modeling tool. However, I'd also like to experiment with the ClearviewRC simulator which uses ACAD files for modeling. I'm having problems with the texture mapping of the model.

I'll post some pics in the next few posts to explain the problems, but I'll list my questions here.

1. In Metasequoia, I can create a material which has a texture file associated with it as well as specify the specular reflection property of it and then assign the material to a particular surface or surfaces. I see how to specify the light reflecting properties of a material in ACAD, but how do I do it for a texture?

2. In Metasequoia, I can set the editor so that I only select the front or visible faces of a particular view. That way I can easily assign a different material to the front and back of an object. I've modeled the wing and ailerons of my model as independent objects in ACAD. The top surface of the wing should have a different part of the texture file assigned to it than the bottom surface. However, the selection tools seem to select both top and bottom surfaces. Are there any suggestions as to how to filter the selection to only select the view-visible surfaces of the object?

3. For some reason, white in the texture jpg appears transparent in the ACAD view. It shows up fine in the Clearview sim, however, but it is somewhat strange. Any ideas why?

Pictures to follow:

Thanks,

Jim
jimhorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 02:32 AM   #2
jimhorner

Default Re: Newbie question regarding texture mapping

Here's a view of the desired result of the model in Metasequoia (top) and the current state in ACAD (bottom). As can be seen, the white stripes appear transparent in ACAD.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perspecivemseq.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	597  

Last edited by jimhorner; 5th December 2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 5th December 2007, 02:58 AM   #3
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhorner View Post
Hello, I'm a newbie to ACAD
ACAD = AC3D ?

Just to be sure... this is the AC3D forums. ACAD is usually short for Auto CAD by AutoDesk. Similar software to be sure and an easy mistake, but want to make sure you're in the right place before I really confuse you.

Quote:
1. In Metasequoia, I can create a material which has a texture file associated with it as well as specify the specular reflection property of it and then assign the material to a particular surface or surfaces. I see how to specify the light reflecting properties of a material in ACAD, but how do I do it for a texture?
Apply both a texture and a material. Textures only control the diffuse color. Light-reflecting properties are controlled by the material... just set the diffuse color of the material to white to pick up the texture color in its place.

Quote:
2. In Metasequoia, I can set the editor so that I only select the front or visible faces of a particular view. That way I can easily assign a different material to the front and back of an object. I've modeled the wing and ailerons of my model as independent objects in ACAD. The top surface of the wing should have a different part of the texture file assigned to it than the bottom surface. However, the selection tools seem to select both top and bottom surfaces. Are there any suggestions as to how to filter the selection to only select the view-visible surfaces of the object?
In the lower left-hand corner of the status bar is a checkbox that says "Select through". Uncheck that, and you'll only select the visible surfaces.

Quote:
3. For some reason, white in the texture jpg appears transparent in the ACAD view. It shows up fine in the Clearview sim, however, but it is somewhat strange. Any ideas why?
Hmmm. Not sure on thaat one. Maybe the material has transparency?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 03:01 AM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Oh... just saw the picture. On the missing white stripes, your material isn't perchance red is it? If so, turn it to white.
Old 5th December 2007, 03:08 AM   #5
jimhorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
ACAD = AC3D ?

Just to be sure... this is the AC3D forums. ACAD is usually short for Auto CAD by AutoDesk. Similar software to be sure and an easy mistake, but want to make sure you're in the right place before I really confuse you.
Yes, of course you're right. My mistake!. I'm in the right place, I meant to say AC3D. I don't even use AutoCAD, TurboCAD is my preferred CAD tool. Those AutoDesk guys have brainwashed me!

Quote:
Apply both a texture and a material. Textures only control the diffuse color. Light-reflecting properties are controlled by the material... just set the diffuse color of the material to white to pick up the texture color in its place.
Thanks, I'll do that.

Quote:
In the lower left-hand corner of the status bar is a checkbox that says "Select through". Uncheck that, and you'll only select the visible surfaces.
Excellent! That should make my task much easier!

Quote:
Hmmm. Not sure on thaat one. Maybe the material has transparency?
Well, as I said, it shows up correctly in ClearviewRC. My texture file is JPG, which I don't think has an alpha channel. It's a puzzler.

Thanks very much for your quick reply and help!
Old 5th December 2007, 03:10 AM   #6
jimhorner

Quote:
Oh... just saw the picture. On the missing white stripes, your material isn't perchance red is it? If so, turn it to white.
Got it! I'd used red material because parts of the plane don't need a texture, so why not use red for everything? Anyway, I changed the material to white and that fixed it.

Thanks again for your very quick help.

Best Regards,

Jim
Old 5th December 2007, 07:52 PM   #7
lisa
Professional user

Yes, a lot of people don't realize that texture and material color are additive that way. The result you see on your model is a combination of the color from the texture *added* to the color from the material, versus the texture replacing the material.

If you play around with it, you can achieve some really neat tricks! For example, this sphere *looks* like it is mildly iridescent , but it's really just material + texture trickery. (The effect is much better in motion if you download the file)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip colorswirl.zip (42.2 KB, 273 views)