Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th June 2004, 03:01 AM   #1
Rooivalk

Default AutoCAD Import and Cross Sections

Hi,

I have been working on a 3D model consisting of ground contours (with layers for rock, fill in material, excavated material, current contours) and a number of objects that have been constructed within the ground and above it. It is essentially a model of a real site.

Overall, the program works very well, and I am highly impressed.

My first suggestion would be an improved importer to .DXF (AutoCAD) files. When importing contours from .DXF files, only 2D polylines (as defined in AutoCAD) would be imported. This meant that other linetypes were ignored. I can modify some in AutoCAD, but have a problem with others. Then, the lines that are imported typically have their ends connected, creating a closed line. This means I have to individually edit each contour line by slicing surfaces between two vertices and then deleting the extra line.

My second suggestion is an easy way of viewing cross-sections. I know you can do something like that through the Boolean plug-in, but it only works for certain types of objects. Since I have quite a complex layering of objects, I would really like to have something where I can cut my entire model in half, along the x axis for instance, and then view that cut from the zy window. That view should also just be a 2D view, showing only what is actually touching that plane. This would really be useful for viewing purposes, and needs not be permanent (i.e. don't need to create a new object when slicing, just let me see what it looks like).

Finer scaling of background images would also be appreciated. I am trying to create a 3D model that could be used for analysis, but tracing from background images (scaled) can give quite an error (i.e. 100 metres on drawing will be 101.5 or 98 metres in AC3D).

It would also be great if an improvement in the "create 2D mesh" could be made. I'm creating a solid surface between the contour lines that I have, but find I can only really do it by hand with the regular "draw mesh" and then drag each vertex to a point on the contour line. The 2D mesh tends to be quite untidy and creates way too many polygons. All it really needs is a series of rectangular surfaces spanning between the two lines.

Anyway, I know this is a long list of ideas. But the program does work really well, these things would just help me a ton in my work.

Thanks!
Rooivalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 06:26 AM   #2
DutchOrigin

Default Importing dxf from autocad 2000i

Hello,

Im used to work with Autocad 2000i wehere if have drawn a wiremodel in 3D (2,5D). When i import this dxf file into AC3D i only get the 2D view. When i draw 3d in AC3D i can very well export it into Autocad. I have tried to export from autocad to a studiomax file and then import into AC3D, but the whole drawing is then one block. I'm very impressed by the possibilties in AC3D but can someone help me with this issue?

Greetings,
Robin (The Netherlands)
DutchOrigin is offline   Reply With Quote