Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st June 2014, 02:40 AM   #1
thawkins

Default AC3d for 3d Print Modeling

Im new to AC3d, I'm evaluating it for use as a 3d modeler for 3d print work. I have a couple of observations/questions that relate to that use.

1. Coordinate system, AC3d seems to use a coordinate system that is rotated by 90 degrees relative to what most 3d modelers would expect, probably due to its legacy as a scene modeler, is there any way to rotate the axis by default so that x and y are the base plane and Z is up, and be able to set that as a default. This would also involve having the gridded plane in the 3d view on the X/Y plane rather than the X/Z plane.

2. Is there any way to set the default workspace size, its considerably easier for print modeling is 1 unit = 1mm, so a workspace size of ~200units would not be uncommon.

3. Is there any way to set the "3d Grid" square to a non-square size, the beds of many printers are not square, so having a separate X and Y max (in printer orientation), would allow the modeler to be aware of the bed size.
thawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:50 PM   #2
jentron
Professional user

Default Re: AC3d for 3d Print Modeling

1. Coordinate system, - as far as I know, you're stuck with x/z for the grid, but there is a plug-in called "coordinate swap" that will let you model Y up then swap the Y and Z axises for exporting to the printer.

2. Look under the file->settings menu. There are adjustments for may sizes in there, including major and minor grid spacing, size of gui elements, etc you can use to customize the views.

3. No, but perhaps modelling your printer bed and loading it as a locked model would be of some use to you?
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Edymnion
Professional user

Default Re: AC3d for 3d Print Modeling

I find it easier to simply scale and rotate in my printer software.

Overall, I find AC3D to be *EXCELLENT* for print modelling, as it has a very clean interface that isn't cluttered up by a lot of options that you don't need for printing (like lighting, rendering, animation, etc).

If you really want to have everything done in AC3D and not modify your file before you print, you can always just select the whole thing, click the rotate tool, and rotate 90 degrees on the Z axis. That'll put it in the right orientation for printing, but frankly you're a lot better off doing that in your printing software to make 100% sure its sitting where it needs to be.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote