Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd December 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
jarv

Default uv problems

Due ac3d uv doesn't have seams cutting, I am forced to export the mesh to other apps, run a seam cutting (with spherical mapping), and import again in ac3d the modified object, in order to export it as a .tga file. But after importing in ac3d, the uv disappears; it is reduced to a green point surrounded by a green square, in the lower left corner of tce, whatever the app with which I performed the mapping. This is really nasty.
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: uv problems

tga's are image files and don't store the UV mapping info- that's stored in the geometry file e.g. .ac .obj etc. A single point in the TCE indicates that the texture coordinates are unset (all 0.0) - so they didn't exist in whatever file you loaded.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:43 PM   #3
jarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
tga's are image files and don't store the UV mapping info- that's stored in the geometry file e.g. .ac .obj etc. A single point in the TCE indicates that the texture coordinates are unset (all 0.0) - so they didn't exist in whatever file you loaded.
What is the point with tga files now? Tga is the end of the chain. Before of that, I said that there is that I'm unable to spherically uvmap some complex meshes, so I have to export 'em in lwo or luxology format, uvmap 'em with spehirical + seam cutting, save them as lux or lwo, import in ac3d as lux or lwo, and.... opening tce, I see uvmaps of the imported meshes has desappeared. That's what. This wouldn't happen, if ac3d had had a way to cut the seams before to uvmap a mesh made in itself, so one shoudln't be forced to uvmap it in another app, only to see that, once the modified file is imported in ac3d, its uvmap has been reduced to a square with a point in the middle....
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Try using a file format like obj.
Old 3rd December 2008, 07:34 PM   #5
jarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Try using a file format like obj.
I used also that, converted from lwo to obj through deep exploration; same problem. I think, probably ac3d doesn't recognize the uv of external apps?
Old 4th December 2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

AC3D will load and save texture coordinates in OBJ files so this is the way to go.

When you export a file from another app. check in it for lines starting with 'vt' - these are the texture coordinates. If they are not there, you won't have any texture coordinate and that's why you'll get all TCE coordinates at 0,0 in AC3D.