Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd March 2006, 11:27 AM   #11
PerFnurt
Expert member

Default Re: Povray

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdn
I'm going to take AC3D off my system because it's total lack of support for a rendering engine.
Total lack, eh?

Post your files and I'm sure we'll find that something is fishy - in your files rather than in the apps.

All black? You do have a light source in there somewhere, right?

www.perfnurt.se
PerFnurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2006, 05:31 PM   #12
chrisdn

yeah, of course. I've found a way round certain things by putting a sphere round everything which is a real pain. Half the textures listed will not load for some reason and I'm really getting fedup with it.

Would it not perhaps be easir for them to add a drop down list of povray textures and finishes into the material menu or possibly the object property editor? They claim full support but in essence the support is totally blank and to get the results you want you have to download uncertified third party plugins?

I'm a manager in web solutions company and if my solutions were like this I'd probably get a million customer service complaints every day. When is some form of rough animation system going to be built in? When will the material editor offer option such as wings or blender. When will there be actual rendering options added? God, it wouldn't take long to add to the current rendering system!

Right now it seems that they do very little and leave the work to the third party people to get the software doing what other packages can do.

I love AC3D's interface when is the functionality going to catch up with its interface?

And when, for crying out loud, is this supposed v6 going to be released? Sick of looking at that splashscreen saying coming soon and no actual dates or rough timelines.

Arrrrggggghhhhh!!! I always tell people to use AC3D and now I'm starting to wonder why.
chrisdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 02:33 AM   #13
PerFnurt
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdn
I'm a manager in web solutions company
So? Are each of your web solutions designed to handle all issues or do you have different solutions for different tasks?

I think you' shoot yourself in the foot if you try to make an app that tries to be good at everything.

www.perfnurt.se
Old 23rd March 2006, 04:03 AM   #14
Dennis
Professional user

AC3D has always been a modeler-only for as long as I've known. I've yet to find a better modeler in the same price range. And, yes, I'd rather pay for AC3D than use Blender and/or Wings for free, after having tried both. Nothing against them, AC3D is just far better at what it does.

Bear in mind, too, that once you throw animation and full rendering support in, you have a product in a whole different price range (by a margin of at least several hundred USD).

That being said, I agree that better material support in AC3D would be nice. Of course, I won't be removing AC3D from my system because it doesn't have better material support or a robust POV-Ray interface.

Perhaps you could take Perf's advice and post a model/example of what you're trying to do so someone could have a look?

Barring that, your other options are to either look into the POV-Ray docs on your own to diagnose your issue, or get another renderer. Why not give Blender a try for rendering? It even has native AC3D importers. I've found it to be a very cumbersome modeler, but perhaps it's more friendly in the animation/rendering department. There's certainly nothing wrong with using both apps --- I use several 3D apps in my workflow for most of my projects, and almost always start in AC3D for the base models.

Sorry to see you're so angry with ac3d. As mentioned, try posting some examples of *exactly* what's failing for you, and perhaps someone can lend a hand here.

Also, I don't believe I've seen where AC3D touts "full" support for POV-Ray, simply that it allows you to render with it --- I think there's an assumption there that you have to learn POV-Ray as well. But again, I'm sure someone here could still help if you can provide some specifics.

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 03:28 AM   #15
little_penguin
Expert member

Quote:
Also, I don't believe I've seen where AC3D touts "full" support for POV-Ray, simply that it allows you to render with it --- I think there's an assumption there that you have to learn POV-Ray as well. But again, I'm sure someone here could still help if you can provide some specifics.
I completly agree, Dennis, but sometimes it is getting quite funny, when after exporting you have to edit a 10mb file .
Some things should be really improved:
- better light_source definiton (for example assigning an object to an lightsource
(looks_like{}...))
- better camera support
- perhaps skies, rainbows, and finish and texture option menu .

A better integration in povray would be really great. No functions would get lost,
those all could extra features in a extra menu.
I at least hope that one day ac3d would "really" support povray-renderings.

bye
olaf
little_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 03:42 AM   #16
PerFnurt
Expert member

Perhaps you should look into the PfPOV .pov exporting plugin, as it does some things you request, such as not losing functions when re-exporting.

www.perfnurt.se/pfpov.asp

www.perfnurt.se
Old 19th April 2006, 05:33 PM   #17
little_penguin
Expert member

hi PerFnurt

I tried but ...
Quote:
/ac3d/ac3dlx-update/plugins/PfPOV.p: invalid ELF header
What shall i do?
I also tried to compile it but it seems like i would need the ac3d-sourcecode for this

bye
olaf
Old 19th April 2006, 06:05 PM   #18
PerFnurt
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_penguin
hi PerFnurt

I tried but ...
Quote:
/ac3d/ac3dlx-update/plugins/PfPOV.p: invalid ELF header
What shall i do?
I also tried to compile it but it seems like i would need the ac3d-sourcecode for this

bye
olaf
Hmm, "ac3dlx"

You're running it on linux, right?

Unfortunately the plugin is only compiled for windows.
To compile you need the AC3D SDK, ask Andy for it.

If you eventually get it compiled for linux I'd very much appreciate if I could publish that version as well.
If you have questions about the plug-in/its source, just mail me: perfnurt@hotmail.com

www.perfnurt.se
Old 19th April 2006, 06:14 PM   #19
little_penguin
Expert member

thanks for your fast reply

i will try..

bye
olaf
Old 5th June 2006, 07:54 PM   #20
allen

it's been a while.

Ask me some questions and I will try to help. I haven't delt with ac3d much anymore, but I sure can help with povray.

http://allen.emailnuts.com/
allen is offline   Reply With Quote