Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th November 2008, 12:10 PM   #1
jarv

Default mirror issues

It is unfortunate that currently ac3d glues the mirrored part of a sculpt prim to the adjacent source of it (for I guess that SL won't handle a composite prim.....): and that when doing this action, both the new mirrored copy and the source end often with the polys of their joined faces as being like "jagged"; if I (painstakingly) try to remove the joined faces ('cause they could be th culprit of that "jagging"; which may be nothing but the result of adjacent flipped faces......), obviously the uv map lacks a part...... too bad.
I tried to bypass this issue exporting in Lightwave the part to be mirrored, then mirror it (yet leaving the meshsmooth option; i guess that the meshsmoothing effetct of ac3d is similar to LW's), and import in back to AC3d (formerly I tried also to export it as .obj, but the exported failed; due to the meshsmooth enabled, I guess); but when i import the lwo in ac3d, the mesh is not nurbed, but a simple quadrangled mesh! So, I dunno what to do now. Help......

Last edited by jarv; 24th November 2008 at 12:27 PM.
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 12:39 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: mirror issues

After you mirror your shape you need to mirror the UV map as well.

Highlight the faces you mirrored, then open the TCE. Select "flip horizontal" (or vertical if you mirrored it that way instead) and then snap the faces to the other side of the map. Resize the map to fill the entire space space without going over and make sure there are no holes.

As always, the usual rules apply: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5025
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
jarv

This isn't the same issue of my prime post; here I mean that the mirrored half becomes one with its source, being glued to it through the axial mirroring points; thus, the uv map becomes one (and, this means also that there isn't any uv map to mirror).

Last edited by jarv; 24th November 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:20 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

I'm not sure I follow. Can you post an image?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 02:33 PM   #5
donamy
Professional user

try placing a vertice just beside the group and select both objects then mirror them. the mirrored parts are now seperate and don't have any shared faces, just delete the extra vertice.
donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 02:49 PM   #6
jarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by donamy View Post
try placing a vertice just beside the group and select both objects then mirror them. the mirrored parts are now seperate and don't have any shared faces, just delete the extra vertice.
The problem is also that thereupon I cannot join back the two parts with precision, due the lack of movement's constraints (where is a "snap to grid" option?).

However I'm thinking that some plugin, or embedded function altogheter, is indispensable in ac3d, in order to get rid of the current problems given by the sculpties' design "orthodox" method; probably some kind of sketching help, which sketches freely the desired forms, keeping a starting spherical uv "envelope", then constraining the mesh reticulate to 32x33; this way it could be possible also to design very complex shapes withouth compromising the uvs, nor constraining creativity.