Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th June 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
SaintDubious

Default A gun (revisited)

I hope it's okay to resurrect an old thread like this. I came across this ages ago and (as usual) was just floored by tbd's work. Seriously man, you're my modeling hero. I found your website and have studied a lot of your space ships, they're amazing. So yesterday I was fishing around for a new project as I try to stretch my skills a bit as a 3D artist. I see from the first post that tbd likes to copy other people's work to learn new things. So here's the start of my new project:

I realize it's not exact, but I hope it's a good start. I have one question, how on Earth did you do the little circular holes (like near the end of the muzzle)? I see from the mesh that it's not a texture, but actual little holes. I figure I could go crazy with the boolean operations to tear little spheres out of the surface, but there HAS to be a better way.

Anyway, if it's okay with everyone, I'd like to keep this thread alive with updates. I'm also posting the story on my blog (which I'll pimp out now)

http://riftspace.net/riftdev
SaintDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 02:48 AM   #2
tbd
Professional user

Default Re: A gun

Bojangles thread is at the end of this post. I liked the overall design of the gun in that thread (he is\was building a spaceship), so I asked him if he had anything against me doing my version of the gun. He didnt mind. Now you can compare my and his gun I wasent out after total likenes, just the overal shape. I dont have Ac3d installed at the moment, havent had the time to model for ages, but if you are talking about the tiny holes, they are just selected surfaces that are divided some times, and then I used the make holes function. So they are square actually

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3...hip-stars.html
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 05:37 AM   #3
SaintDubious

You're kidding, those are squares? I was staring at the screen for ages trying to figure those out. They looked like circles. I should have waited for your response before I cut a circle into a tiny square and then duplicated the square over and over and over and over and over. I think my grill has more points then some of the models in my game.

Anyway, end of day 2.

Trying to create that squarish block was a nightmare. I'm not very good with the boolean stuff, so in the end I have a polygon soup with normals facing the wrong way and all kinds of mess. More for me to figure out.

Bojangles' space ship is amazing. I'm especially interested to see how he blocks it out as a rough shape first and then puts in the details. Nice to see how the process works. Amazing results.
Old 26th June 2009, 06:29 AM   #4
tbd
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintDubious View Post
You're kidding, those are squares? I was staring at the screen for ages trying to figure those out. They looked like circles. I should have waited for your response before I cut a circle into a tiny square and then duplicated the square over and over and over and over and over. I think my grill has more points then some of the models in my game.
Hehehe, aint it good to have something to do? The Devil is in the details you know

Bojangles ship is awsome indeed, but its quite some time since he have posted something now. Hope he comes back to it
Old 3rd July 2009, 01:55 AM   #5
SaintDubious

Well the results are in. I have to say that at this point I'm completely burned out with modeling. I also don't think it's as nice as what tbd created, but it's still a pretty good effort. I definitely learned a lot, and I highly recommend this sort of activity to anyone looking to learn some new tricks.

Thanks again tbd.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy; 13th July 2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: attached image - please attach images when posting
Old 4th July 2009, 02:29 AM   #6
tbd
Professional user

Close enough . Its difficult to copy a thing 100% from just pictures. Thats why I used bojangles gun just as a base, and made it my way instead.