Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Michelle_Nephew

Unhappy Second Life Export Troubles

Hi there. Working on my first sculpt for Second Life. Here's what it looks like in AC3D:

I used the "sculpty-cylinder.ac" template provided to build from. But when I imported it into SL it looked like this:

It's actually hollowed out, too, so it's bowl-shaped from the top. So I looked around these forums a bit ... found a link to directions for UV mapping at http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...rom_existing_3 ... so I remapped it then I tried importing again. Now I get this:

What can I do to make this work properly? Thanks for any help you can give me!
Michelle_Nephew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Michelle_Nephew

Default Re: Second Life Export Troubles

My sculpt texture currently looks like this, which strikes me as strange:

Before I re-mapped it, the texture looked like what I'd consider a "normal" sculpt texture ... edge to edge color.
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:15 AM   #3
lisa
Professional user

What does the uv map look like? The texture coordinates need to be edge to edge.

Also, did you save the original on the first one, before you remapped it?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Michelle_Nephew

I do have a copy saved from when I was seeing if committing the subdivisions helped at all, before I remapped it. The sculpt texture from that looks more normal (edge to edge), except for a black bar at top and bottom (see image below). But when I import that texture into SL, I get the second image in my first post.

Is the UV map something different? Where do I find it?

Last edited by Michelle_Nephew; 22nd February 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Michelle_Nephew

Also, I'm on a G5 Mac, running OSX 10.4, in case that matters.

I tried snapping that last sculpt texture in AC3D to get rid of the top bar, and took it into photoshop to pull the right side down to get rid of the bottom bar. It's still pretty messed up in SL, though. The top is flat, anyway, instead of being bowl-shaped, but the three points are just a jumble. It looks like the second image in my first post, minus the big spike coming out of the lower left side.

Last edited by Michelle_Nephew; 22nd February 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

Actually, what I'm looking for isn't the image of the texture--though that gives me a pretty good idea--but an image of what the coordinates look like in the texture coordinate editor. I've attached a picture.

I'm guessing that you probably have more than one polygon using up the same part of the map. What happens then is that one part of the map overwrites another when you export. You need to map it so that only one face occupies each part of the map.

You should fix that bottom edge in AC3D, too. Just switch the TCE to vertex mode, grab each point, and tell it to snap to the bottom.

You said you started with the cylinder model? The cylinder is mapped correctly to begin with, and most tools won't hurt the map, so it's a bit of a mystery. *But*, if I had to hazard a guess, here's what I'm theorizing went wrong at least to the top and bottom... Looking at the first map and you're model, I'm guessing you grabbed all of the surfaces at the poles and combined them. Ordinarily, combining surfaces is just fine and doesn't hurt anything. However, the poles are a special case. If you look at the poles, you'll notice there's a very small hole. The hole is very tiny, so that it doesn't show up at all when imported into SL. But, in AC3D, it allows me to keep the points disconnected and have a discontinuity in the map so that I can force a spherical map on to a cylindrical shape. If you combine those surfaces, the map snaps together and your texture coordinates become zero height.

If you really wanted them combined, you'd have to remap the top so that it is more like it was originally (use a cylindrical unwrap around the y axis). Then use a little LSL script with llSetPrimitiveParams to change the sculpt map mode to cylinder to handle the discontinuity, because the default SL spherical unwrap can't handle a non-spherical map. Personally, I just found it easier to leave the little hole, which again is too small to render in SL anyway.

As far as the jaggy in the middle, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing something similar. A vertex on the left is snapped together with a vertex on the right, so the discontinuity is lost and it's trying to stretch it across the whole thing instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tce.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	753  

Old 22nd February 2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Michelle_Nephew

*Groan* So much for following the directions! They said "Fill in any gaps. To make a proper sculpt map, you must have no holes in the UV map." So I filled in the "gaps" at the top and bottom. Took quite a while to do well, too! I'm planning on putting this on a mega-prim, so the hole probably would end up being visible at the much-larger size that allows, I was thinking.

Here are the two versions of my UV maps (remember that I don't have the original file, unfortunately, and can't seem to revert either one):

"COMMITTED SUBDIVISIONS"

"REMAPPED"
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Michelle_Nephew

Should I just start over, or is anything salvageable?
Old 22nd February 2008, 07:26 PM   #9
lisa
Professional user

No holes in the *UV map*... holes in the model are okay. The tutorial fills the holes in the model simply as a means to get rid of the holes in the uv map... it also mentions you could snap the points in the texture coordinate editor instead. I know, that's a bit counter-intuitive. I'll make sure a note gets added to clarify.

The size of the *prim* doesn't matter for the hole... it's the resolution of the *sculpt map*. SL only renders 32x32 pixel sculpt maps, regardless of what size you upload. They recommend 64x64 so it looks smooth when they scale it down. At 32x32 pixels, the hole percentage-wise is less than one pixel, so it doesn't render at all.

The second mapping isn't right at all. You want to think of it like unfolding a gift wrap, and completely flattening it out so none of the paper overlaps. It looks like you've got a planar map on it. What you really want is a cylindrical or spherical map.

The first map can probably be salvaged if you remap the top and move whatever point is connected up to the top right (might just fix itself when you remap the top). If you want to start over though, you can use your current shape as a template by locking it and then stretching your new shape to the same dimensions. Makes the job much quicker.
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Michelle_Nephew

You are a kind and patient person, lisa. Thank you so much for your help.

In the end, it seems that I needed to not only make sure the top and bottom hole were preserved from the cylindrical template, but also I wasn't able to use the Bevel and Indent tools at all ... that's what was causing the radiant lines from the bottom left corner of the UV map, and the holes in the map too I suspect. I reconstructed my shape from scratch being careful of these two things, using Spike (+ & - values) instead, and it imported into SL fine. Yay!

Last edited by Michelle_Nephew; 24th February 2008 at 04:06 PM.