Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th July 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Mossie
Professional user

Default LSCM mapping questions

This is a nice feature and one shown on a number of other packages.

While looking around the methods used involve making or marking a seem and then applying the LSCM tool.

Now within AC3D we don't have a seem maker or marker, but we do have "unweld vertices".

Having a quick play this approach seems to work.

Are or is there a better way?
http://ww1-aircraft.info/

Mossie 3D CAD, "Prompt and Precise"
http://mossie3dcad.com/
Mossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: LSCM mapping questions

I never thought of using unweld on the vertices - very clever!

As there is no specific support for seems at the moment, you will need to do that or unwrap in multiple sections and move them together in the TCE.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

One of the things I appreciated most about AC3D when I was taking a hard look at Blender was the way their respective TCEs worked. Blender 2.5+ had gotten fairly close to the functionality of AC3D with regards to texturing.... but no cigar.

I couldn't figure out how to be able to move and manipulate surfaces or vertices any way I wanted with the new Blender versions. I would select a surface and try to move it on the texturing window, and all the connected surfaces and vertices would distort as I moved the surface I wanted. I couldn't figure out how to "detach" a surface or selection of surfaces and manipulate it (remap from a different angle, etc.) separately.

With AC3D, you can easily move surfaces, vertices or both with complete control and ease of use. Then, when you get it aligned pretty close, you can select vertices on the TCE and snap them together to make it a perfect match on your model. I couldn't figure out how to do this in Blender 2.5/6 (that is to say, it *may* be possible, but it sure isn't as easy or intuitive as it is in AC3D).

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 10:36 PM   #4
jentron
Professional user

So, I read about the unwrapping feature in the new AC3D, but never saw/used it until I read this thread. I even installed the 7.x version a while back to look for it. Couldn't figure out how to use it. And now, wow. I'm going to have to save my pennies to update my license!

Ron
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Noob
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentron View Post
So, I read about the unwrapping feature in the new AC3D, but never saw/used it until I read this thread. I even installed the 7.x version a while back to look for it. Couldn't figure out how to use it. And now, wow. I'm going to have to save my pennies to update my license!

Ron
It's a bit of a pain to use on complex meshes though since you can't define seams at all (even a simple vertex selection to define an edge would be nice here). It's also a bit wonky for some shapes (http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6666).

Even so, it's definitely worth the $40!
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 09:34 PM   #6
russellbdavis
Advanced member

Well, I discovered by accident, and have looked through the documentation to see if there is an explanation, but have not found it. At any rate, I too discovered it was difficult to create unwrapped models that looked correct. Here is what I found.
I first grab the left side of my aircraft model and map it to the TCE.
Name:  img1.png
Views: 483
Size:  4.3 KB
This view has not been properly flattened so I can create a 2d texture. So, I then map it using LSCM. Here is how it was mapped:
Name:  img2.png
Views: 478
Size:  11.1 KB
This is of course stretched out of proportion and I would typically mess with it and move vertices until it looked better, but it still was not mapped very well.
So, I hit CTRL+Z to UNDO the mapping. But to my surprise, something else happened. This image appeared:
Click image for larger version

Name:	img3.png
Views:	331
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	2908
I thought, WOW, this is much better! So I flipped it both horizontally and vertically and also rotated it a few degrees and now have a properly flattened 2d ready for texture creation.
Name:  img4.png
Views: 489
Size:  5.2 KB
Don't know if this function has been there all along, but I sure like how it flattens my models now. They now appear very symetrical, as they should be.

Last edited by russellbdavis; 21st September 2013 at 09:38 PM.
russellbdavis is offline   Reply With Quote