Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th October 2006, 10:07 AM   #1
picilo

Default .ac files...

I just got the trial of this, and I designed a concept computer case that i have been dreeming up. Now i plan on buying the software so this question is just for my own knoledge. Is there any way that i can convert the file to something else that will still allow me to move it around and view it like it is viewable in the 3D window? I have 3D studio max, can i convert it over to a file that 3D studio can use and even add things to? This might sound dumb, but like i said i just go t the program 2 days ago and dont have any training on it yet.

Thanks,

picilo
picilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 10:22 AM   #2
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

Default Re: .ac files...

I dunno if I am missing the point but I will try anyways.

you said you have 3d studio max, and the trial verison of ac3d.

my anwser to your question is yes. ac3d can change the file from .ac to .3ds.

add this to your signature if you are a thinker.

Quote from me Daniel Reed a.k.a "nightoftheroundtable"
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 10:25 AM   #3
picilo

OK, thanx! So your saying that all i have to do is change the file extension from .ac to .3ds? If that is all then your answer is exactly what i was looking for.

picilo
Old 12th October 2006, 10:31 AM   #4
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

yes ac3d has an export function with a long list to choose from. well its not terribly long. but you can change the file type from there. its under File> Export> .3ds

Old 12th October 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
picilo

Thanks man, one more question for ya since you seem like you know your stuff.... Why is it when i make a sphere on AC3D it is filled in, white. And at home i do the exact same thing, and it is like a wire frame? Nothing is different in the settings. The only difference i can find is the hardware. SO im wondering if it is this way because at work im ona dell with crapy intetgrated graphics and at home im on a X800GTO pci express graphics card? Just wondering....

Thanks,

picilo
Old 12th October 2006, 10:37 AM   #6
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

you say nothing in your settings is different. which veiw are you doing this in? ortho or the camera 3d veiw?

Old 12th October 2006, 10:47 AM   #7
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

also I do not think that switching to different machines will affect what your doing.

if you will notice the two buttons that are before tools and the help button.

since the question is a little vague. I will assume that this is happing to both your ortho veiw and 3d veiw.

mkay go to the button Ortho underneath there, it should be a setting called wire frame. if this has been selected it will cause what ever you create in ortho veiw to see any object as a wireframe.
If you dont want the wire frame settings on just click it and every thing should become solid.

repeate the same process with the 3D button that is right after the Ortho button on the top menu
If all goes well you shouldn't see any wireframes.

Old 12th October 2006, 11:02 AM   #8
picilo

sadly i think your right. I feel dumb...LOL. any way when i get home i ll check that, and your prolly right. Thanks for your help man, i hope this site will help me learn this program. Im off to a good start as it is. I just wanted to create my concept computer case, but now that i see what it can do i will start teaching my self how to use it. Thanks again, you were a big help.

RUDY
aka
picilo
Old 12th October 2006, 11:06 AM   #9
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

lol well we all have those days where we feel stupid. anyways your welcom for the help.

Old 14th October 2006, 03:03 AM   #10
tbd
Professional user

Quote:
OK, thanx! So your saying that all i have to do is change the file extension from .ac to .3ds? If that is all then your answer is exactly what i was looking for.

Sorry to say this, but you can not just change ac files into 3ds just by renaming the fileextension. You have to have your ac file loaded in AC3D and export it to 3ds or obj or lwo or whatever to get it into another modeler.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote