Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th November 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
OleSprky

Default Text generator to Secondlife Sculpty prim

Hi folks, this is my first post on these boards. Hope you folks can help me. I'm new to programs such as this and am wondering how or if there is a way after creating 2D-3D text if there is a way to export it to a Second Life sculpted prim texture map. I have been able to create other prims here and have them work with the exporter but the letters are so far a no go. Any help on this would be appreciated.
OleSprky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 08:37 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Text generator to Secondlife Sculpty prim

The easiest way to do it would be to wrap each letter individually.

Letters tend to have a lot of hard edges, though. Depending on your font and your prim budget, I might recommend using AC3D's SL triangle exporter instead.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 09:21 PM   #3
OleSprky

Thanks for the reply Lisa.

When I was working on it earlier, I created just one letter to see if it would work. I used the basic Arial font and made a T. The setting I used was extrude to make it a think solid. The thickness of the letter was .5. As far as the wrap goes, I'm still a major noob on this program and have no clue what that means. From beginning to end this is what I did.

Opened the 3D text generator.
Set the font and the letter (I'm trying to make individual letters)
Clicked Create.... the model shows up on the screen.
Went to Export to SL Normalized sculpted prim
Saved it
Went to upload image in Secondlife, selected that sculpt .tga then clicked open.
In the preview texture box before actual upload, my model looks like a giant piece of fools gold.

If you wouldn't mind (and if you have time) would you please give me a step by step guide on how to do this? If you would like you can PM me this info though I'm sure there are others who would like this info.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 13th November 2007, 05:05 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

No problem! Everyone was new once.

What you need to do is texture map the shape. The AC3D sculpty plug-in works by transforming the geometry from 3D space to UV space; it needs UV coordinates to do that.

I don't have time to write a full-on beginner's tutorial on UV mapping today, but several people have asked me for this, so I'll add it to my to-do list.

In the meantime, here's a couple of sculpty tutorials that should hopefully point you in the right direction. These tutorials both assume you know a little about texturing, but the second one is designed as a walk-through, so even if you are new to uv mapping you'll at least know which buttons to push.

http://www.inivis.com/secondlifesculpted.html

http://independentdeveloper.com/arch...rom_existing_3

I hope this helps!
Old 13th November 2007, 08:02 PM   #5
OleSprky

Thank you again for your help on this. I guess my biggest problem in doing all this is that all of the terms associated to 3D modeling are all new to me. I'm used to working in an autocad environment in 2D making rough sketches for parts. I knew ahead of time that there was going to be a learning curve to this but EGADS. LOL. I've read thru those tutorials and while some of it is starting to sink in, there are still big holes that need to be filled in my head. If you're thinking about doing that complete beginners guide to this, I think I'm gonna have to wait for that, or my foot will be thru my monitor in no time. LOL.

I appreciate your help on this again.
Old 14th November 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

I'm always happy to help out.

Oh! Here's a link to the tri exporter I mentioned:
http://www.inivis.com/secondlifetri.html
Old 7th February 2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Candy_Fayray

Smile Re: Text generator to Secondlife Sculpty prim

Hi

How to upload from AC3D to SL ????

I have some serious problems with.

Can anyone give me a step-to-step info what to do ????

Other Question is.....i see 3 different Secondlife Sculpt options.

Can anyone explain what does it means ?????

And for what are the inworld creators i see something is inside and the scripts are not visible.

Thx

Candy
Candy_Fayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 03:53 AM   #8
lisa
Professional user

- The box exporter writes out a text file you can paste into a notecard inside the in-world box creator tool. This lets you make things out of prim boxes.

- The tri creator is the same idea as the box creator, except it reads out the actual triangles and will build each tri in SL out of a prim using the in-world tool.

- The sculpty exporter exports a sculpt map (texture) you can apply to a sculpted prim.

If you go back to the link with the exporters on it (http://www.inivis.com/secondlifesculpted.html) there are some instructions on the subpages.