Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th January 2017, 07:54 PM   #11
stitlown
Expert member

Default Re: Undo buffer - serious problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitlown View Post
I'll try to elaborate tomorrow - bed time now. But can you elaborate on "but will clear the undo buffer". That I just do not "get". Cheers. Lx
Just so I'm clear, are you saying that performing an optimise vertices also erases the contents of the undo buffer? I just did a quick test and that does appear to be the case. Seems a bit limiting. Even saving does not help because the undo trail isn't saved is it?
stitlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 12:23 AM   #12
jentron
Professional user

Just curios, have you tried Vertex->Weld instead of Object->optimize vertices? They do essentially the same thing, but in different ways. Might help your workflow moving forward.
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 07:52 AM   #13
stitlown
Expert member

Old thread but same issue - now in version 8.3.30. I found the prefs file (now called ac3d8prefs.txt) and in it is a parameter undo_levels2, which was set at 50 (which is probably what I was experienceing). I've updated it to 300.

But the question is ... can you edit this parameter anywhere from within AC3D (as you used to be able to in 8.0 - somewhere in settings) or is it only possible through this arcane piece of lore (know the prefs file name / find it / edit it)?

If not, I suggest an editable setting would be a good add.

BTW loving having a shortcut for snap to first vertex. Thank you! Now I'm really missing a shortcut for "select connected surfaces".
Old 21st February 2019, 07:57 AM   #14
stitlown
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentron View Post
Just curios, have you tried Vertex->Weld instead of Object->optimize vertices? They do essentially the same thing, but in different ways. Might help your workflow moving forward.
Sorry mate, only just saw this post (2 years late). Weld is great ... if you are on the vertices. I often end up slamming multiple vertices together in wild manipulations - so "optimize" is my action of choice - but maybe I'll try a "select all / weld" and see what it does.

FWIW, optimse vertices appears undoable, but optimise surfaces is not. Now I know the lay of the land, I can live with the one-way nature of the surfaces optimisation - and if I don't have my wits about me, well, that is my comeuppance.

Cheers, Lx
Old 24th February 2019, 10:10 PM   #15
stitlown
Expert member

Quick update on managing the undo issue. Still haven't found where to adjust this from within the GUI. To make changes you have to edit the prefs file (in the root of your Windows user directory [parameter undo_levels2] BEFORE you run AC3D. If you edit it after AC3D has fired up, no changes are made in the program and the preference file is overwritten (if that is the setting you have [=defult]) when you close AC3D.