Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Steven
Advanced member

Default More advanced function to export 3D models as sprite images!

I don't know if you can recall the first 3D models that could be downloaded and view with QuickTimes. You can see some advanced plane models for example and tilt-it, roll-it in all directions. The models were actually sprites not 3D vector/vertices! QuickTime was using a special format to capture the object (3D model from advanced CADs) at various angles, enough to cover the objects in all directions. The viewer simply flip images in a specific sequence depending on mouse movement and/or keys pressed.

I am using right now the "Save 3D win as PNG animation" and wish we could have more advanced options to capture our models just like the Quicktime format. The function would cover all possible angles. We would just specify the animation quality via an angle increment and the image resolution. This function would be much more usefull and powerfull to import my 3D vector models from AC3D to a sprite based format for Game Maker. (yes I am using GM right now and I am doing nice things with it. However I am too limited with the function that is implemented in AC3D).

Thanks very much

Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 12:44 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: More advanced function to export 3D models as sprite ima

Hi Steven,

I was under the impression that quicktime used a series of 2D images to fool you into thinking that it was rotating a 3D model/view, but I haven't played with it recently.

Does GM load quicktime files? Do you have some sample files?

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Steven
Advanced member

Default Re: More advanced function to export 3D models as sprite ima

You are right Andy!

QuickTime was using 2D images to recreate 3D models. This is what I meant by "sprites" in my post. I do not have QuickTime however, therefore I do not have sample files. I used quicktime to view a pseudo 3D model more than 5 years ago. Today its called QuikTime-VR and its file format is *.mov.

GameMaker cannot read them. It can however read a large amount of images format and its impressive; but no *.mov format. For example its easy to load all thirty something AC3D *.png sprite images in one shot in the sprite interface of GM. (from there we can modify various aspect of the sprites as a group or individually).

I will look for a file sample of QuickTimeVR this weekend.

Thanks very much,

Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote