Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th October 2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Dzemo
Advanced member

Default Help: model too heavy for Pov Ray

Hello all. I am new to this program but after using it for a week I decided to buy it.

I have an art contest project for a game called Pardus. It is a halloween theme. I created this pumpkin but apparently I put too many vertices in it. Now when I try to get the second model to be flying out the nose hole, POVray gives me an error and wont render. It even shuts down on me.

So my question is, can you reduce the amount of verices in a model?

Dzemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Dzemo
Advanced member

Default Re: Help: model too heavy for Pov Ray

So no help at all?
Old 10th October 2009, 03:55 AM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

Hi Dzemo.

How many vertices are in each of the object? Also, what kinds of errors are you seeing in POV-Ray?

The only "quick and easy" thing you can do to reduce the existing vertex count in an AC3D object is to perform an "Object -> Reduce...". Unfortunately, for a model like this that will end up being the centerpiece of your scene, I doubt you will be happy with the results that gives you. I'd still give it a shot, however - experiment with the reduction amount and see if you get acceptable results. I've gotten some good results using this tool, but it can be hit and miss.

Beyond that, the only options I can think of are combining surfaces and deleting vertices, or recreating the object at a lower polygon level.

Combining the surfaces entails selecting adjacent surfaces and performing a "Surface -> Combine". When you combine surfaces to where some vertices are no longer needed, you can delete those vertices. It's a tedious process, however.

Recreating the object may also seem daunting, but that may be less painful than doing the surface-combining operation. Since you've built it once, a rebuild should take significantly less time. I've rebuilt models in the past because of bad polygon flows or too many vertices, and it helped hone my 3D modeling skills in the process.

Hopefully, though, there may be something you can do in POV-Ray to get things working with the models as they are. I have almost no knowledge in the workings of POV-Ray, but perhaps if you post the error you're getting someone may have some insight? Unless POV-Ray outright says "too many vertices", that is .
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Dzemo
Advanced member

Thank you for your help and advice.

I think I am just going to have to remake the pumpkin head.

I also am terrible with POVray. I tried some of the other renderers but all seem complicated. I really just want a simple one with no code to write.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzemo View Post
I really just want a simple one with no code to write.
It's been a while since I've looked into free or inexpensive 3D renderers, but Blender might be your best bet for a decent renderer that doesn't require writing code. Blender imports AC3D files without any conversion/exporting necessary (at least, it did the last time I looked at it).

It has a heavy learning curve, but since you're already an AC3D user, you can skip the modeling part of that curve. Blender's modeler is *very* painful for most people (I personally never got the hang of it), but the animation/rendering is pretty decent, IIRC.

Good luck.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote