Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Mac AC3D Beta

Apple has made some recent changes to their operating system which causes problems with the 64 bit Mac AC3D 8.3.30.

If you upgrade your OS to the latest Mojave (10.14.6) and start AC3D 8.3.30 (64 bit) the Mac will crash out to the login screen.

For now, please use this Beta instead, and post any problems here:

www.inivis.com/external/ac3dmac8355.tgz

Last edited by Andy; 2nd August 2019 at 11:05 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 06:55 PM   #2
domhenry
Expert member

Default Re: Mac AC3D Beta

Thanks Andy - that fix worked fine. XPlane plugin good too.
domhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 05:29 PM   #3
domhenry
Expert member

Should mention there is no manual in the beta - I just moved the manual over from the previous version for convenience. thanks
domhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019, 11:26 AM   #4
xrotors
Expert member

Angry Re: Mac AC3D Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Apple has made some recent changes to their operating system which causes problems with the 64 bit Mac AC3D 8.3.30.

If you upgrade your OS to the latest Mojave (10.14.6) and start AC3D 8.3.30 (64 bit) the Mac will crash out to the login screen.

Usual disappointing stuff.
Thanks Andy, please advise asap as soon as it get to work again.

xrotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 11:23 AM   #5
billbarg

I am now running Catalina 10.15
and downloaded( paid ) AC3D 8.3.30.
I only use X-Plane with AC3D
so
I downloaded the Plane add on and successfully installed it.

AC3D X-plane menu is a no go.
Does the use beta also apply to Catalina? ?
billbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 01:18 PM   #6
billbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I am running Catalina and the file ac3dmac8355.tgz
Will not expand!

The colored beach ball just spins, waited 15 minutes.

With that beta should it run on Catalina?

Last edited by billbarg; 8th October 2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: stuck with bad download
Old 8th October 2019, 01:31 PM   #7
billbarg

ac3dmac8355.tgz
Will not delete from trash.
HELP!
Old 15th January 2020, 06:21 PM   #8
TomBunce

I've run across several bugs in the beta:

Text boxes for SizeTo and MoveTo will not highlight with a double or triple click to select all the numbers.

I was having trouble installing the App and getting it to take my license number. I think I ended up having to run the executable via the Terminal from within the Package Contents to get it to work.

Bas Relief from Texture will cause it to warn there are too many pixels for it, averaging down to 256x256, then it crashes out the App with a fatal error.
These bugs may be general to the App:
Several times I have had the app crash out and it says it wrote a recovery file to the /tmp directory. That took awhile to figure out that it was the MacOS /tmp directory and I had to use the Terminal to move it out of there to get AC3D to be able to see it. Then it didn't work so I lost an hour of work. (I save quite often because I don't trust it not to crash).

Text boxes are a bit too small to show all of the digits which requires a mouse drag to make sure I get all of them.

The outline for selected objects/surfaces/vertices gets in the way of selecting other things. It's like the outline drawing is on top of the other things and it thinks I'm trying to resize all the selected things even though the shift key is down and that should trigger selecting (or unselecting) objects under the sizing box.

Duplicate menu item will duplicate the things selected without moving them (as I want) and Cmd-D keyboard shortcut will offset the objects (which I don't want) if that is a Preference setting, that's fine, but the two actions should be identical.

Knife and Knife and Cut Away both do the same thing to a cube and a surface. I would like to be able to use the surface to slice the cube (or other object) in half. I can't seem to get anything to do a simple slice.

Surface->Cut Away Object only duplicates the cube and surface, no slicing or anything else appears to happen.

Wishes: Divide needs a way to specify how many divisions I want. Even better would be a way to select the edges of a surface and have it divide just those sides by a specified number so I can get just two surfaces instead of four (and three instead of nine once I can divide more than just in half).

Doing a Boolean operation makes way too many sub-surfaces with something as simple as a cube with an octagonal cylinder. I get the impression the internal math is only 32 bits and the lack of precision makes it want to divide the edges up too much. Sometimes with slightly more complex objects this has the side-effect of leaving tiny holes that will then cause subsequent boolean operation to fail even though it works the first time with either of two or three objects but not when I do the next one.

That list should keep you busy for awhile!

Last edited by TomBunce; 15th January 2020 at 06:26 PM.
TomBunce is offline   Reply With Quote