Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th August 2008, 03:07 AM   #11
Antario Denja

Red face Re: Having MAJOR issue getting things exported

Ok.. i take my question back..
Not that i figured out yet how to solve my problem; but there are so many posts here referring the same theme, that i feel ashamed to have asked the same question again.
What i will try today is to work my model, go to the TCE (and since i read it is the best to do when importing into SL), turn on spherical and then work my way through to snap each vertice "out of bound" to its place (i.e. top, bottom, right and so on). And thus i hope this is what everywhere is written: filling the "black holes" in the UV Map.
I gather my misunderstanding is (as a newbie in modelling) the difference between UV map and texture.
I understand it like this currently: the uv map gives my object in SL the shape, the texture is the skin.
Thus i dont really need a texture in the beginning just to check whether my sculpted object in SL looks right.
And texturing is the next step on my way to make it really nice.

When i am completly wrong on this, please, please, please tell me. I´ve allready spend many frustrating hours failing :cry:
Antario Denja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 04:39 AM   #12
Kireyo
Expert member

Default Re: Having MAJOR issue getting things exported

I'm a newbie myself so I feel your pain.

However, your problem is easy enough to solve, just make sure that your UV map is a perfectly filled square, shouldn't be too much work judging from the picture you posted. Just snap those vertices against the sides using the TCE, so that the square is completely blue with no more gray gaps - then export again, and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Kireyo; 29th August 2008 at 04:44 AM.
Kireyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 05:15 AM   #13
Antario Denja

Uh.. thanks for the reply.. but i am about to resign. For the last three hours i was snaping like hell in TCE, trying everything in can think of. But to no success.
Even the with the SL-Standard-cube no success. I wonder whether there is something else what could make this happen.
I here included the steps i made for the standard cube with the result. All looks, referring to the UV Map, great to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2807525331/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2807525435/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2808374482/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2807525613/

I am really about to give up.

Last edited by Antario Denja; 29th August 2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 29th August 2008, 05:29 AM   #14
Kireyo
Expert member

Can you attach the .ac file of the backpack?
Old 29th August 2008, 05:42 AM   #15
Antario Denja

sure, here it is.. and many thanks for the help
Attached Files
File Type: ac Unveraenderter Rucksack.ac (18.9 KB, 256 views)
Old 29th August 2008, 07:21 AM   #16
Kireyo
Expert member

1. I noticed 4 vertices at the top of the backpack that seemed to be there for no apparent reason, and they were interfering with the UV map, so I got rid of them.

2. Surface / divide so I had some more vertices to work with, and better detail.

3. Tool / UV map : cylindrical on the Y-axis produced the best result

4. export to sculpt... done

I didn't finetune the UV map but got a good result, see attached pics.
Attached Images

Old 29th August 2008, 07:55 AM   #17
Antario Denja

Hey, first: many, many thanks for help.
I tried to redo what you did, it got better. I noticed these strange knobs too.. also on the bottom and tried to rid of them. Allready yesterday, but to no avail.
You wrote you did this only on the upper side and with "Surface Devide". Why not "Surface Combine"? I tried that one with no good result. So i just wondered.
With "surface devide" i dont get rid of these strange extra verticies. How did you do it then?
And still, my result is not as good as yours, even when i try to optimize the uv-map. I understand, that this is this painstaking work to look at every verticies in a VERY high-zoom whether there might be gray areas left. And if yes, simply move these suspect dots to the nearest side of the 256x256-Area? Seems strange to me, for if i move these dots just whereever near they could go, what sense would make their position anyways?
Next I see, that you didnt optimize the uv-map and still have these stray-beams out to the right. I gathered that optimizing the uv-map would mean to move these onto the upper referred to area?
I am still confused....

could you please upload your backpack.ac file. so that i could look at it?

Last edited by Antario Denja; 29th August 2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 29th August 2008, 08:24 AM   #18
Kireyo
Expert member

You're welcome, I know how hard it is to understand these pesky UV maps, I'm still having trouble with them.
About those 4 vertices on top: I just deleted them, nothing more. (in vertex mode, click on them, hit del).
I used "divide" from the Surface menu to divide the surfaces into more vertices, on the whole object, afterwards. This has nothing to do with the previous step, for some reason I couldn't see the edges clearly in the TCE, that's why I used it.
I didn't do anything with the TCE because the result was already more or less adequate. I'll leave it up to you to fine-tune the UV map if necessary.

About the whole optimizing-the-UV-map thing, I repeat, I'm also a newbie, I just started looking at these last week. I might be wrong, but this is how I imagine it: the setup of the UV map is important because second life uses a texture (sculpt map) to transform a prim into a sculptie, basically by folding a square map together. Imagine a blanket that you wrap together to make a shape. That's why it is important that there are no holes in the blanket, and that it is a perfect square, and here's the really hard part, the surfaces in the UV map can't overlap either, or you'll get some very weird inside-out results.
A texture (or skin as you called it) also uses this UV map to transform a 2D picture into a 3D drawing that fits onto the sculptie. Basically, the UV map says : "put this bitmap on that position of the model".

Again, half of the time I don't know what I'm talking about, feel free to correct me.
Old 29th August 2008, 08:45 AM   #19
Antario Denja

yay!.. now i succeded and think, i got the same result as you. posh.. this isnt easy to understand.
I agree about what you wrote about the uv-map. And i too understand, that this uv-map is wrapped around a basic sl-object. So far, so well. But to optimized i would have to be able to "read" the uv-map. i.e. know, which dot belongs to which side and where its correct place should be? This is strange. But well.. one first step is done again: thank you! I ow you 10L$ plus a beer.
Old 29th August 2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Kireyo
Expert member

Actually you owe me nothing, I tested it on the beta grid, but I'll take that beer ;-)