Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th July 2008, 03:10 AM   #1
proximulator

Default About to purchase, just few questions.

Hello,

I am a content creatore for Secondlife who has worked some time in Maya. However for sculpties - i find AC3D much easier to work with.

Just a few things I was not able to find during playing with AC3D.

1) When i import SL sculpty-sphere from the object library, there seems to be no way to set the desired number of horizontal and vertical vertices.

2) Didnt find a way to insert a horizontal or vertical loop between two already existing loops. Ctrl+Shift+i doesnt do the trick. In Maya it was called - Insort Isoparm - nice and easy.

3) Background image also lacks the possibility to be moved left, right, up or down. So i cannot fine tune its position in AC3D.

4) How can I apply photoshop's .psd texture to an object?

Thank you for your answers,
Proximulator
proximulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: About to purchase, just few questions.

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximulator View Post
1) When i import SL sculpty-sphere from the object library, there seems to be no way to set the desired number of horizontal and vertical vertices.
There's no setting for this. If you want to change the number of vertices, you either need to slice the sphere or remap a new sphere. (Note, however, that the number of vertices in the exported sculpty is fixed as the points are sampled in uv space. i.e. The amount of texture space you assign to a surface is more significant.)

Quote:
2) Didnt find a way to insert a horizontal or vertical loop between two already existing loops. Ctrl+Shift+i doesnt do the trick. In Maya it was called - Insort Isoparm - nice and easy.
I think you're looking for the "divide loop" plugin. You can find it here: http://supercoldmilk.com/ac3dplug/divloop.html

(And a number of other nifty plugins as well!)

Quote:
3) Background image also lacks the possibility to be moved left, right, up or down. So i cannot fine tune its position in AC3D.
Hold the ALT key while you press the arrow keys to fine-tune the background image position. Hold SHIFT+ALT while pressing the arrow keys to scale the background image.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 08:22 AM   #3
proximulator

Quote:
There's no setting for this. If you want to change the number of vertices, you either need to slice the sphere or remap a new sphere. (Note, however, that the number of vertices in the exported sculpty is fixed as the points are sampled in uv space. i.e. The amount of texture space you assign to a surface is more significant.)
Number of vertices in the exported sculpty is fixed? To what number?.. and there is no way to enlarge it? Let say i would like to have 32 horizontal and 32 vertical vertices. What should be my actions in this case to reach the desired result?

And what do you mean with the amount of texture space? I would likely have 1024x1024 texture applied on the surface (or we are talking about different things here).

Thanks in advance for your answers.
proximulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

The sculpt map that AC3D exports is always 64x64 pixels/vertices, which Second Life downsamples to 32x32 at high LOD and 16x16 at low LOD. The exporter samples the surface of your model to generate the map so that it has the exact number of vertices regardless of the number--or more importantly, configuration--of the vertices in your model. It performs the scan process in UV space, meaning areas of the model that consume a lot of texture space will get more vertices in the final sculpty, whereas areas of the model that consume very little texture space get fewer vertices.

This thread has some example images that show what I mean:
http://www.inivis.com/forum/showpost...45&postcount=5

Basically, if you scale something up in the TCE, you can assign more vertices to that region.

[BTW: I'm working on a "precision mode" exporter that's less sensitive to UV space.]
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Severa
Advanced member

I can't wait for that precision mode, it'll help a lot.
Severa is offline   Reply With Quote