Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Plugins and Other Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th October 2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Gus
Advanced member

Default Re: Collada

I did more tests, this time tested Bonzai3d and Sketchup and they both worked with Blue Mars development SDK......

For you reference and testing here's a simple cylinder exported from Sketchup as .DAE and imported into Blue Mars item editor.......

http://wildwestgames.org/cylinder.dae

Preview inside Blue Mars Item Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Don't assume that it's AC3D's Collada output at fault here - it could be the way it's being interpreted by your loader.

I'm not saying that there may not be a problem in AC3D's output - bugs happen. It worked with the loaders we tested.

If you can send me a simple file e.g. a plain triangle that does load in, we can check it against the AC3D output of a similar model. Better still, ask the developers of the loader what they think is wrong with AC3D generated Collada and report that. Once we have this info., I'm sure we can fix it.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Dennis
Professional user

I've been working with the Collada format lately, and thought I'd take a swing at this one.

I compared a cylinder exported in AC3D against the exported cylinder provided in the above link. The fundamental difference is that the cylinder in the link above uses <triangles> to describe geometry, while AC3D uses <polylist>. Both formats look syntactically correct, however, and I can find no problems in the AC3D export --- I was also unable to get any other Collada importer to break when loading an AC3D Collada file.

I've attached a cylinder exported from LightWave -> Collada - can you see if that one imports? ( NOTE: I had to rename it to cyl_lw.dae.txt - you can rename it to cyl_lw.dae )

If the attached file imports, then we can more easily compare the AC3D and LightWave files, since they both use the same geometry descriptors.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cyl_lw.dae.txt (4.5 KB, 363 views)
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Dennis
Professional user

One more thing - I'm also attaching a LightWave exported cylinder that's been triangulated, in the event Blue Mars doesn't like polys with > 3 sides.

As before, can you try this out in the Blue Mars importer and let us know the results?
Attached Files
File Type: txt cyl_lw_tri.dae.txt (5.0 KB, 335 views)
Old 6th October 2009, 02:57 PM   #14
Gus
Advanced member

Niether of the two dae files you supplied worked, I suppose you didn't uv map them? For your information .DAE will not import into Blue Mars SDK if it ain't uvmapped....

Keep in mind that Lightwave is supported on Blue Mars, we have a few Lightwave users on there....

Try uvmapping them and send them again and will try......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I've been working with the Collada format lately, and thought I'd take a swing at this one.

I compared a cylinder exported in AC3D against the exported cylinder provided in the above link. The fundamental difference is that the cylinder in the link above uses <triangles> to describe geometry, while AC3D uses <polylist>. Both formats look syntactically correct, however, and I can find no problems in the AC3D export --- I was also unable to get any other Collada importer to break when loading an AC3D Collada file.

I've attached a cylinder exported from LightWave -> Collada - can you see if that one imports? ( NOTE: I had to rename it to cyl_lw.dae.txt - you can rename it to cyl_lw.dae )

If the attached file imports, then we can more easily compare the AC3D and LightWave files, since they both use the same geometry descriptors.
Quote:
One more thing - I'm also attaching a LightWave exported cylinder that's been triangulated, in the event Blue Mars doesn't like polys with > 3 sides.

As before, can you try this out in the Blue Mars importer and let us know the results?
Old 6th October 2009, 05:37 PM   #15
lisa
Professional user

Just wondering... if you triangulate the model first, will AC3D export it as triangles into the Collada file?

I haven't played with the Collada export nearly enough yet.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:13 AM   #16
Dennis
Professional user

Hi Gus - try this one - it has texture coordinates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
Just wondering... if you triangulate the model first, will AC3D export it as triangles into the Collada file?
Hi Lisa - it still writes out a polylist, even with a fully triangulated geometry.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cyl_lw_tex.dae.txt (7.7 KB, 353 views)
Old 7th October 2009, 12:51 AM   #17
Gus
Advanced member

Okay, I went back for a second try and checked the previous lightwave .DAE files again, including this one here and all passed........ the problem from previous attempt was that the cylinders were so tiny but once scaled they all imported successfully.

However, AC3D still doesn't import the .DAE...same error as posted in previous threads........

Quote:
<bmImportCmd> log start, file"C:\Blue Mars Tools\Developer\Game\Objects\MyData\ac3dcrate\ac3d crate.log"
bmImportCmd v3.6.0 : 19 June 2009

Command line:
bmImportCmd.exe -log -autoProxy -useFauxMap -fauxMapFilePath textures/ar/Common/ar_solid_255_255_255_diffuse.dds -mtl -texturePath objects/mydata/ac3dcrate/ C:\Blue Mars Tools\Developer\Game\Objects\MyData\ac3dcrate\ac3d crate.dae C:\Blue Mars Tools\Developer\Game\Objects\MyData\ac3dcrate\ac3d crate.cgf

Progress:
--> Executing name fix pass.
--> Executing triangulator.
--> Executing check pass.
ERROR : checkPassFn() : No valid mesh geometry found, ..\ColladaCry\check.cpp
ERROR : processSceneGraph() : Process function failed, ..\ColladaCry\process.cpp
ERROR : main() : Data check failed, .\main.cpp
--> Aborting.
<bmImportCmd> log ends

Quote:
Hi Gus - try this one - it has texture coordinates.

Hi Lisa - it still writes out a polylist, even with a fully triangulated geometry.
Old 7th October 2009, 01:40 AM   #18
Dennis
Professional user

Okay, one last test and this should give us something we can pick apart.

I've attached 2 files, one export from LightWave and one from AC3D, both of a single triangle with a red material applied, both around 30 units square on the XZ plane so scaling shouldn't be an issue.

Gus - can you try exporting these, and verify whether the LW triangle passes and the AC3D triangle fails?

If so, this will be a very good file to check for diffs with, as both files contain very little content and are much easier to compare than files with lots of geometry (like the earlier cylinder tests).

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt lw_tri.dae.txt (3.0 KB, 445 views)
File Type: txt ac_tri.dae.txt (2.8 KB, 291 views)
Old 7th October 2009, 03:02 AM   #19
Gus
Advanced member

Your Lightwave .DAE on this one passed, but the AC3D failed again.......

Quote:
Okay, one last test and this should give us something we can pick apart.

I've attached 2 files, one export from LightWave and one from AC3D, both of a single triangle with a red material applied, both around 30 units square on the XZ plane so scaling shouldn't be an issue.

Gus - can you try exporting these, and verify whether the LW triangle passes and the AC3D triangle fails?

If so, this will be a very good file to check for diffs with, as both files contain very little content and are much easier to compare than files with lots of geometry (like the earlier cylinder tests).

Thanks
Old 7th October 2009, 10:23 AM   #20
Dennis
Professional user

Hi Gus,

There are a handful of differences in the LW and AC Collada files, but the majority should not affect imports at all (i.e., the AC file contains normals and texture coords, different poly shading model, different close tag methods used for "empty" keys, etc).

The only one that stood out as a possible issue is that the AC export doesn't include a <bind_material> key.

Without the <bind_material>, the triangle loses its red material when importing into LW. Because different Collada importers will define this behavior differently, it's possible that Blue Mars is throwing an error because it cannot map the material to the mesh.

I added the <bind_material> tag to the AC triangle, and now the red material shows up in LW --- hopefully this will also fix the Blue Mars import issues. Can you try the attached file in Blue Mars and let us know how that goes?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt ac_tri.dae.txt (3.1 KB, 348 views)