Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th November 2006, 12:53 AM   #1
brianh

Default Road Cone

Ok I kind of know how to make a cone, but I want to make a good looking road cone. I know you can make cylindar and snap the verticies together, but I could us a little help on make a good road cone
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Road Cone

You mean something this simple?

Road cone page

Not that hard.

It's a combination of two basic primitives: a box (or rectangle) for the base and a cylinder for the cone body. Depending on whether you need the cone to be one organic piece will determine whether you can just properly position both primitives and call it done, or have to take the extra steps to weld the two together into one organic piece.

The box or rectangle (base) is easy: it's a flat, thin box. Draw a rectangle first, then add and reposition some vertice pairs between the corners to round off the corners. Then, in surface mode, select the surface and extrude it a little up or down to give it some thickness. Optional whether you want or need to bevel the edges, or even create a raised "lip" around the edges as some cones have.

For the cone body, a simple cylinder will do. Draw the object to proper size, in vertice mode, grab the top row of vertices and thin them down in X and Y. Select the top surface and extrude it out a tiny bit, thin it or bevel it a tiny bit, then "Make Hole" to create the rounded top.

Now, if you're content to have a simple, basic cone, you can probably stop there. But if you need it to be realistic (that is to say, seamless and hollow; say, perhaps for a video game or animation where the cone might be upended and you could see up inside it), you will need to merge the cone and the base...

For that, I'd suggest selecting the topmost surfaces of the base and "deleting the surface only" (that is, leaving the vertices) and then, in vertice mode, Creating Ordered Surfaces that link the vertices of the outer edges of the cone body with the vertices of the top surface of the cone base. Also, bring up the bottom vertices of the cone body so that it's flush with the top surface of the cone base. Also, select the entire lower surface of the cone and the box and delete them, so that the entire cone is hollow as seen from underneath it.

You could try to do that with a Boolean, but it'd likely be more trouble than it's worth and the clean-up would take you longer than the way I described it above.

Edit: Now, with the v 6.0 Booleans working very well, this might actually be the quickest and best way to do it.

That's just one approach to it. You could get the same results with a combination of a rectangle (perhaps worked a bit to get rounded corners) and two disks (one wider for the base, the other thinner for the top) and the Convex Object/Hull tool, used in "stages" to create the surfaces.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals

Last edited by Stiglr; 4th February 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 10:53 AM   #3
coldby
Professional user

Default Try this

Imagine cutting your road cone vertically through the middle, and watch the cut edge. Take half of it, say the left one, and draw it (as a line) so that the tip touches the Y axis.
Now revolve your line around the Y axis chosing a number of steps multiple of 4 (36 is a good value).
What you got is a sort of witch hat, with a round base. Switch to 'vertex' mode and, from above, select one quarter of the vertices of the base, say those on the left side - roughly but not exactly those between 8 and 11 o' clock. Squeeze them rightwards together, and one side of the base is done. Repeat the procedure on the remaining 3 quarters, and there you have your road cone.
I know, it's still flat, just a tiny shell, but that's soon taken care of: extrude the whole thing upwards by a little, and your cone is now solid and ready for painting.
Required time: 2': 25".

If you have a problem give it to a lazy man: he'll find an easier way (Murphy's law)
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
jmoll

Default Re: Road Cone

im new.. can anyone get me a tutorial for weapons?
jmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 04:56 AM   #5
coldby
Professional user

Default say some more, please...

Hi Jmoll,
"weapons" is a highly generic word: it can mean pistols, rifles, H-bombs, missiles, swords, daggers, axes, flamethrowers, bow-n'-arrows, and (for ladies, lawyers and politicians) even their own tongues
Mind to specify what weapons you have in mind exactly?
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote