Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd March 2017, 01:26 PM   #1
jleslie
Expert member

Default carving letters into a cube (boolean -- subtract) problems.

like the title says, I want to put indented lettering onto a cube, I have a set of letter for better or worse that is a conversion from sketchup to ac, and they looks pretty good, and they are reasonable in polygon counts, I'm having issues getting the letters to carve into a cube. What I was trying to do was take the letters overlap them with a cube but not have them come through, and then do a Object->Boolean->subtract to give me the lettering. In the AC file included in this post, you'll see it all worked fine for the letter "D", but the Letter "H" is not working and I cannot figure out why.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or is there another way to do this?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lettering01.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	3537  

Attached Files
File Type: zip lettering01.zip (12.3 KB, 79 views)
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:45 PM   #2
tbd
Professional user

Default Re: carving letters into a cube (boolean -- subtract) problems.

From what I see from your file, the letters you are trying to use have double surfaces.and the C also are missing a surface. Make sure the letters dont have surface within surface, and that they are closed as well. Trying to fix them in AC3D can turn out to be quite a task. It may be easier to use the text tool in AC3D.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
jleslie
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd View Post
From what I see from your file, the letters you are trying to use have double surfaces.and the C also are missing a surface. Make sure the letters dont have surface within surface, and that they are closed as well. Trying to fix them in AC3D can turn out to be quite a task. It may be easier to use the text tool in AC3D.

Yes, I see. I found another set of alphabet that works much better. Is there an example of using the text tool in AC3D? I have no idea how to use it.
Old 4th March 2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

The text tool (Menu Tools->Create 2d/3D text) should be pretty self explanatory. You will want to select 'extruded'.

When you make text using that, you'll get a group containing each letter object.

For the boolean, it will be best to merge these together into a single object and use that to subtract in one go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	textblock.png
Views:	83
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	3538  

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 02:51 PM   #5
jleslie
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The text tool (Menu Tools->Create 2d/3D text) should be pretty self explanatory. You will want to select 'extruded'.

When you make text using that, you'll get a group containing each letter object.

For the boolean, it will be best to merge these together into a single object and use that to subtract in one go.

Ahhh!!!! the xxxx.ttf are the font choices!!!! now I understand1!!! Yes that is what I wanted. thanks.