Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2005, 02:06 AM   #1
mr_vonhelding

Default Question about features

Hi there I have a few questions about AC3D and if it can do what im looking for.

Hope I can explain this correctly.

For starters I allready have a texture template I need to use.
It is split into Upper Body, Lower Body and head
3 seperate image files.

What im trying to find is a program that will let me load up a 3D model and then customise or configure, whatever you might like to call it. So that the 3D model is set to work with my existing texture template.

Then, once that is done I'd like ot be able to add things to the 3D model, for example clothes, coloring, marking, what have you.

After Ive done adding things I'd like to be able to export that texture as an image file. Almsot any format would do, BMP probably being preferable.

This is to allow me to more simply create clothing that blends seamlessly around the torso and from the torso to the lower body.

Is AC3D capable of this?
If not can anyone recomend something that is?

Thank you.
mr_vonhelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
griff
Professional user

Hi,

It sounds like you may have templates for Second Life Avatars ... but I am guessing. ;-)

The texture templates you have were built/made with/for a specific 3d model .. so you will need that. Ac3d will import a number of geometry formats (.obj I find a great format to use).

When you load the model it should have information about the texture in it and will allow you to use the templates you have as a texture (I assume you mean by a template, a 2d image with lots of triangles drawn on it). You can then *paint* on the texture template your clothing and view it in Ac3d.

If you have the 3d model and the templates then yes you can do some modification of the model and texture template in AC3D and its *texture cordinate editor* However if you are thinking of gross changes to the 3D model then you may need to create completely new texture maps(templates) in a program like UVMapper.

The only snag you may run into is that the 3d model will likely import as a single object and each of the three templates you have will fit only a specific area so it may end up looking odd initially.

A little more info would help. Do you have the 3dModel that texture template was made from? If so. was it designed to be used in a 3D chat type of environment like, for example, Second Life ? The details of what you are trying to do ... would help.

Happy New Year To All

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 04:44 PM   #3
mr_vonhelding

Thank you for your response

yes they are the second life templates.
Im jsut trying to find a way to make it easier when disigning things that wrap around the body or go from the lower to the upper

Currently cut up the image into tiny bits and flips and positioning by hand is incredibly painful process.

No I don't have the model unless linden has released it
Old 31st December 2005, 05:09 PM   #4
griff
Professional user

Hi,

Yes they have

http://secondlife.com/downloads/avatar.php

And a complete set of texture templates here :

http://secondlife.com/downloads/templates.php

Have not tried using it but my guess is the model will load into AC3D as a single object ... and the templates are assigned to parts of the body. So you are going to have to split the avatar into three pieces (to match the head/upper and lower body).

Since the second life avatars are low polygon poser avs, I suggest you also look at Daz Studio ... available for free here :

http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/1_0download.php

It may help in splitting the model.

Once the model is split you can then use the three templates and paint your clothes as you wish. I don't think that second life allows altering the geometry (the 3d mesh) though.

If I get time ... I will try it myself as I have all the items I need

griff
Old 31st December 2005, 05:49 PM   #5
griff
Professional user

I just did a quick test with the stuff that can be downloaded. Here are my results:

1. If you try to load the avatar .obj file directly int AC3D it will load as a single object and textures are all on top of each other ... not useful to you.

2. You can use Daz Studio to split it into the appropriate pieces ... it takes just a couple of minutes to do .... save each piece (head,lower, upper) as a .obj file

3. Then you can import each piece into AC3D. If you open the texture editor in AC3D ... you will see a nice texture map for each piece now. Save this as an AC3D file ... use it as your tailor's dummy to test your creations ;-)

Let me know if you need help.

griff
Old 1st January 2006, 09:50 AM   #6
mr_vonhelding

Dear driff

Thats AWESOME jsut awesome.
I can't wait to try this out,
BUt my experience with 3D programs is very limited however I can learn fast with some instruction.

If at all possible I'd appreciate it if maybe we could meet on YIM or something and you might have a little time to coach me through this.

I can't say how thankful I am this is going to be a great help to what i'm trying to do.

I'll PM you my YIM details

Thanks again
Old 4th January 2006, 08:31 AM   #7
mr_vonhelding

Can anyone help me with how to do this spiltting up the model thing?

I have no idea the best i can do in Daz Studio is change the diffuse color of the surfaces.
Old 5th January 2006, 01:40 AM   #8
griff
Professional user

hi,

Sorry I've not been able to get back to you ... I've had a number of business related problems this week ... should be sorted out to a greater extent by the weekend.

Should be able to look at what you want then.

griff
Old 5th January 2006, 08:27 AM   #9
mr_vonhelding

Thats awesome griff,
Hope your business matters clear up soon.

Since your willing to help me of your own free time and kindness its granted that I have no problem waiting.

Once again thanks for your help and support.
really appreciated.