Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2013, 10:21 AM   #1
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Unhappy Crash 7.0.11 - boolean operations

I tried to knife a simple cylinder form a simple square plane, and it crashes every time (windows 7 32bit). I also tried subtracting a cylinder from a box, works but leaves strange planes and lines behind. I then paste back the cylinder, and subtract one more time from the box (in attempt to clean up what it originally left behind), and it crashes as well (it actually sits there, thinking, forever).

Please advise. I'm using primatives from AC3D. I rely on boolean operations for much of my work, and it has been a productivity killer not being able to do some simple stuff.

Is there a way to improve the boolean functionality? Would paying for this improvement help?
dre99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Crash 7.0.11 - boolean operations

All boolean objects must be 3D shapes, have their normals facing outwards and have no holes.

Instead of using a rectangle, try using a thin box.

The boolean functions are complicated and their efficiency can vary depending on the scale of the object. They area really designed for solid modelers, rather than polygon based modelers.

With the way booleans are currently implemented, re-booleaning a boolean result can cause problems.

If you send us a .ac file which causes the crash, we'll investigate.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote