Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2007, 04:29 AM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default Max vertices supported?

I have a 2 gigs of ram and 160 gigs of hd, so I was suprised when AC3D frooze up on me ("program is not responding").

I had created a block with 100 sections per plane, which I didn't think should exceed the capacity of my PC, but, apparantly it did.

Is the limit due to the capacity of my machine, or is did I exceed the software limits for AC3D?
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Max vertices supported?

There are no limits other than memory - 100x100x100 blocks work fine on this 1gig machine - that's only 60,000 surfaces.

Some operations may take a while on an object this big, but it's well within the limits of most machines.

Ensure your graphics drivers are up to date. Please try this again and let us know how you get on.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrylynnb View Post
Is the limit due to the capacity of my machine, or is did I exceed the software limits for AC3D?
A block of that size would consume a very small amount of resources for your machine. I have 2gb of ram as well, and am able to create several such blocks in a document (each one adding just over 22mb of memory to the ac3d memory footprint), so you definitely have more than enough memory to handle such an object.

So it doesn't look like either a memory limitation or a software limitation to me. AC3D should store as many vertices/surfaces/objects as your memory will allow.

What is the speed of your computer? I have a 3ghz processor, and the object you describe is a bit slow to rotate/manipulate. Also, how much video memory you have may be a factor (I'm not sure how AC3D handles large objects like this where your video card is concerned, just taking a guess here).

On what platform are you running AC3D (Windows/Mac/Linux)? Also, how much video memory / what kind of video card do you have?

The "not responding" message sounds like AC3D is doing *something* while you're waiting for your object to appear, I'm just not sure what...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 12:16 PM   #4
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

I just built this PC myself (I have done this many times before) and I did it specifically so I could do large surface numbers (I am pursuing high-precision life-like modelling)... It is the MSI with onboard video (Nvidia Quadro NVS 210S) which will use up to 256 mb of main memory. My CPU is the AMD 5600+ (2.8 ghz), which seems fast enough for other things. I use 2 gb of ADATA memory, which is supposed to be fast and utilizes dual channels.

I installed XP pro SP2, which may be my problem because I am new to XP (I have used win98se for too many years, but this micro ATX board will not support win98).

What I had done was to create the block, and then I selected "inspect" mode in the 3d view because I wanted to veer and tumble my view a bit, but, it froze up on me.

I'll try it again in a whilet and see if maybe I did something wrong.

I may need to get an add-on video card, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that because this onboard video card is supposed to be pretty good (it does viideo without any problems so far)..

I'll repost later after I try it some more.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

I just tried this now and it works with NO PROBLEMS. Very smooth. The only thing I can think of is that I had been doing several hours worth of fiddling in AC3D last night (learning), and maybe my session was just too long. Windows 98SE will do that, just freeze up after sessions lasting several hours and I have read that it is due to the system's inability to manage memory for long sessions (that "new" feature of C++'s dynamic memory allocation and the lack of a "grabsge collector" to release memory when new objects expire). Maybe XP has that same problem, I don't know, but I don''t think AC3D has a problem. I'll just have to take breaks, reboot, and not go for such long sessions.