Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th May 2018, 10:29 PM   #1
jinx

Default Can't load a texture

Getting an error "Unknown DIB file format" every time I try to load a new texture (BMP file format).

I had a Windows update run on Wednesday of last week. I can load every bitmap texture I've created prior to Wednesday, but any bitmap created from Thursday onward, I get this error. I even tried a simple copy of an older, openable texture image into a new bitmap file, but it doesn't work. The old versions load, the new files do not.

I also, ever since the Windows update, my F8 shortcut key (hierarchy view) does not work.

I am at a standstill. Any help would be appreciated.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Can't load a texture

Check the image depth - it will need to be 24 bit. Probably best to convert it to png.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 12:01 PM   #3
jinx

I have to use BMP files. The game only recognizes BMP texture maps.

And the BMPs that get recognized by AC3D are 32 bit (8 of which are alpha, so A8 R8 G8 B8), 72 ppi. It's been that way for years now. All of the older BMPs are A8 R8 G8 B8.

All of a sudden, newly created BMP's trigger the 'Unknown DIB File Format' error.
Old 28th May 2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

It sounds like the software you are using to edit the BMPs is doing something to the file. Try loading a working file into (whatever the software is) and saving with a different name. Compare the file sizes and you might also be able to look at the file properties (right click menu on windows) and see if anything changed.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 05:07 PM   #5
jinx

The files we use are 32 bit, 72 ppi, A8 R8 G8 B8, either 512x512, 1024x1024, or 2048x2048. We bake in a blank layer prior to final saving as a BMP. We end up with files with real short header sections (40 offsets long as seen from a hexadecimal file viewer). In the past, using Photoshop to create the file with the blank layer worked fine. Then we'd use GIMP to export the PSP file to BMP. That always worked. And I mean it worked for years.

Now when I run the file through GIMP and do a simple save, it changes the header length to 124 offsets. No other change was made, and the files appear identical in size and properties as seen from GIMP, Photoshop, paint.net, MS Paint, or MS Paint 3D. So running an older file (2 years old) through the latest version of GIMP completely messes up the file to the point AC3D cannot read it.

The strange thing is the only thing that's changed in my suite of programs was a Windows update last week. My copies of GIMP, Photoshop, and AC3D are all older, and have worked in the past.
Old 28th May 2018, 05:50 PM   #6
jinx

Andy I got this to work without GIMP. It's a roundabout solution, but it works:

1. Open Photoshop CC.
2. Open an older file that you know AC3D will accept as a texture.
3. Make any change, add any layers you want.
4. Save the file as a different name. Do not change any of the save-as options.
5. Merge the visible layers. Save the file as a different name, and do not change any of the save-as options.
6. Add a blank layer. Save the file as a different name, and do not change any of the save-as options.
7. Save the file as BMP, and do not change any of the save-as options.

This will result in a BMP texture that will load into AC3D.