Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Plugins and Other Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd January 2006, 02:44 AM   #1
kargrafx

Default Can anyone help me re-design this / clean it up...

Just wondering if anyone more experienced than me (pretty much everyone) could redo this or maybe just clean it up for me? I'd prefer a shiny/metallic texture, but just a clean matte finish (like it is now, but without all the extra spots/streaks) would be fine.

I'd like this little split sphere to spin in place as an animated .gif file as a website logo, plus I plan on using a couple of still shots of it for various print uses.

I would love to be able to add in a bit of text (company name) on the face of each sphere segment, but I couldn't get it to work... so if anyone could help me to add that in, it would be greatly appreciated!

The file is at: http://www.kargrafx.com/sphere.ac

Thanks!
kargrafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2006, 05:58 PM   #2
kargrafx

nothing? No advice, no offers to help? Only 80 reads in 2 weeks?

I guess I should bump it and ask again...

If I sound like I am being lazy - I'm willing to work on it; but this is the best I've been able to produce... so perhaps if someone could at least offer advice on how to clean it up and/or add in a logo on each face...?

Thanks in advance if anyone can/will help me!

EDIT: Just noticed WHERE this topic is... I am certain I didn't post it here, in the plugins forum... unless I was so mind-numbingly tired that I was typing in my sleep at the time of the opriginal post. Could a moderator move it to the right forum?
kargrafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

To make this a "shiny" sphere within AC3D, edit the materials associated with each section and set the specular color, then adjust the shininess until you get the desired result. You could, alternatively, render it in POV-Ray to get a better material - there are some resources in the tutorials forum here that will help you get started.

One thing that may have prevented folks from looking at it is the file size --- it's a 5MB+ file, and probably not worth downloading for someone on dialup. You could try compressing/zipping the file and reposting it, but a standard zip only got the size down to just under 1MB, still hefty for dialup users.

For the logo text, were you looking to create 3D text, or will an image do? If it's an image you want, you could apply a texture. However, because the sphere is currently at an odd angle, it will be difficult to apply the texture unless you "straighten it out" first.

For a 3D text logo, you can use the Tools -> Create 2D/3D Text. Make sure to use extruded text for a 3D look. To get it to curve to your liking. you could try just rotating each letter individually and placing them on the sphere as you wish.

Good luck,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote