Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st May 2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Texture mapping of slanting surfaces

I've created an element that's basically a cage that encloses another structure on a roof top. I've used transparency for the grid of beams and crossbars.

The structure has rounded end sections and the top surface is smaller than the bottom surfaces--this means slanting surfaces and trapezoid / trapezium surfaces at the corners. How would you go about texture mapping this? As the attached image shows the rounded corner sections don't match up with the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slanting.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	3029  

Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Texture mapping of slanting surfaces

The same structure in real life would need to have different sized windows/panels at the edges so you'll need to select the surfaces that need adjusting and adjust only those in the TCE. You should be able to simulate non-rectangular panels by moving the texture coordinates for those surfaces.

In the main AC3D windows, I would select the vertical strip of surfaces on the straight edge, along with the surfaces at the edge of the slanted front. Then in the TCE, line up the texture coordinates (by vertex) so they matched.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

In the meantime I've made the challenge a bit easier by adding / adjusting surfaces at the "rounded corners". A higher surface resolution helps but I will still have to do some scrunching and rotating in the end. I can also make a dedicated texture area for the corners where the vertical bars and the horizontal ones do not cross at a straight angle. That is, the vertical bars should fit a trapezoid / trapezium in the troublesome areas and be fan shaped rather than parallel.

So, there are three ways to go about a thing like this,
1) Modify / add surfaces to the model
2) Skew / rotate the texture mapping of single surfaces
3) Make a dedicated texture area to be drawn by the challenging surfaces

I'm likely to end up with a combination of these approaches.
Old 11th May 2014, 12:50 PM   #4
jentron
Professional user

Hans,

I've been meaning to ask if you would attach the original mesh and texture if you still have them?

Thanks,

Ron
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

My texture exceeds the forum upload limit. It's part of a factory plant and the texture weighs in at 581 kb. I may create a model that doesn't involve anything else, cut out the relevant part of the texture and re-texture it.

Anyway, when 581 kb is too large to upload it's pretty hard to include textures.
Old 12th May 2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Stiglr
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Petter View Post
I've created an element that's basically a cage that encloses another structure on a roof top. I've used transparency for the grid of beams and crossbars.

The structure has rounded end sections and the top surface is smaller than the bottom surfaces--this means slanting surfaces and trapezoid / trapezium surfaces at the corners. How would you go about texture mapping this? As the attached image shows the rounded corner sections don't match up with the rest.
For something this intricate and detailed, it would probably behoove you to make sure the 3D structure matches that of the girders, so that the corners are not a texture issue.

Where there are now troublesome corners, I suggest putting some time into cutting and recombining new surface edges to fix the "overlap issues." Use the knife tool to create the new structure you need.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Here's a screenshot of my revised version. There's an extra surface at each corner and each of these take a skewed version of the main texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slanting2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	3030