Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd January 2021, 06:16 AM   #1
RayH

Default Custom Lights and wont load after clicking on .AC file

1. I have made a weapon selector panel using the gun_arm etc dataref for the Sea Harrier which functions OK with blanked out switch images behind, is there a better way? What I also tried doing was then adding a custom light above each switch, Red showing unarmed state and Green showing armed (superimposed). Neither shows up on the panel I again applied the guns-armed dataref and I gave them a size of 0.5, they show as being there in AC3D object mode but dont show from inside the cockpit. Is there are any useful documentation on the lights/particle subsystem that is available, or possibly a similar case study which I can refer to?

2. I have a Mac, all up to date. If i try to launch AC3D by clicking on a .AC file it just crashes, unique to this app' and the same since I applied the latest AC3D update a few days ago.

Thanks for any assistance.
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 06:27 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Custom Lights and wont load after clicking on .AC file

Does AC3D start from the main icon? It obviously shouldn't be crashing when starting from a .ac file. Try starting AC3D, then loading the .ac file.

Have a look at the .ac file with a text editor, and see that it looks OK (Starts with "AC3D" and is not corrupt).

If you still have trouble with this, let me know.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:37 AM   #3
RayH

Thanks Andy, Yes starts from main icon OK and the file is perfect , Please see upload and the second one on a separate issue that I stumbled across today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	3792  

Attached Images

Old 24th January 2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

OK, if you email me the file, I'll take a look.

Thanks for that image. Ted Greene manages the X-Plane Blender Plugin. Don't worry, we get so much bashing from evangelical Blender users (note we do not bash Blender) but many people try Blender and come back to AC3D. There are thousands of AC3D users and many use AC3D with X-Plane. Obviously we have no control over what some of the X-Plane staff and others use - "each to his own".

Last edited by Andy; 24th January 2021 at 01:08 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 05:14 AM   #5
RayH

Thanks email on its way
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:24 AM   #6
humbug

Smile Re: Custom Lights and wont load after clicking on .AC file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Don't worry, we get so much bashing from evangelical Blender users (note we do not bash Blender) but many people try Blender and come back to AC3D. There are thousands of AC3D users and many use AC3D with X-Plane. Obviously we have no control over what some of the X-Plane staff and others use - "each to his own".
For your encouragement, I have found AC3D to work just fine with X-Plane models. In fact, I enjoy 3D modeling very much now which surprises me. I always thought it was too complicated, but AC3D changed that impression.

Keep up the good work!
humbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:10 AM   #7
Flightboy

In fact the Blender is a big trouble with plug-in who are not working then I gave up. Then I found the AC3D in your website when I Googled the other alternative program to replace the Blender and unuseful X-plane plug-in. Learned out It works much easier to connect with plug-in to send the aircraft to X-plane.

Don't stop to improve the AC3D and make us happier to design /remake etc with these aircraft etc etc.. The money is worth to pay for the AC3D who are practical and easy to use.

Regards Jens Eirik, greetings from Norway.
Flightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:15 AM   #8
Flightboy

PS, when I Googled the tutorial for AC3D for newcommer, so I just came to Blender tutorial every time, so it seems that Blender is most dominant in search engine when people apply other tutorial design program than tutorial for Blender. Both in Google and Youtube..
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:10 AM   #9
humbug

I found all five of these videos by Bernhard Wymann very helpful for using AC3D and I learned a lot from them. It's a car but very similar structures to an aircraft and he has a good way of doing textures that have parts match up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFaWNe8jcMc
humbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:24 AM   #10
Flightboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug View Post
Thanks so much for the link! It makes it easier to follow whether it is a car or a plane that it makes it easier to use all the resources to design the model in a short time.

Regards Jens Eirik

Tags
crashes starting from .ac, custom lights