Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd July 2011, 07:20 AM   #1
jpadgett

Default NearSnap not working - Linux version 6.8.14

I am pretty sure I am using this correctly. Trying to draw a polygon between two objects by turning on near snap and selecting as close to the vertex as I can in the 3D window. The new vertex does not seem to snap to the one on screen. I tried upping the File->settings value for "Near snap pixels" but I see no change to operation. Is this function working in the Linux version?

I originally had version 6.3.something, it seemed like near snap worked when working in the "Ortho" windows (I never got it working in the 3D window) but with 6.8.14 I don't see it working at all.
jpadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Tonka
Advanced member

Default Re: NearSnap not working - Linux version 6.8.14

It looks like nearsnap is not working for me either on version 6.8.14 on Windows 7. Can anyone confirm it working in v6.8 on any OS?
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 04:46 PM   #3
captainpeter
Professional user

Works on Mac 6.8.14 in 2d views (the 3rd dimension of the vertex must match too though) and 3d views.

peter
captainpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Tonka
Advanced member

Thanks Peter. I still can't get any snapping to occur in any views here. I'll point Andy to this thread.
Old 12th July 2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

It works fine for me under Ubuntu Linux. Are you sure it's not working - it is hard/impossible to see a new vertex because it will appear in the same position as the one you clicked over. It will only work in 3D if you do not adjust the view between adding the initial vertices and the new ones that snap on to them, so it's best to only use it in the 2D views.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Tonka
Advanced member

Just tried again, and it works. I adjusted the pixel range for snap option yesterday, from 10 to 50, it seems that did the trick. On a 1920x1080 display a 10 pixel range must be too small. It also appears that AC3D needs to be restarted for the changes in settings to take effect, hence why i saw no change yesterday!

Apologies for wasting your time Andy.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

No problem. Screens gave got bigger since nearsnap was added
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
jpadgett

I just set the near snap pixels to 50 and restarted. Then I drew a couple of cubes just to get some objects in the scene, and moved them away from the center so their verticies would not be on any axis. I selected the draw polygon tool with nearsnap checked on. No good.
I am assuming the new vertex would be placed right on the "nearest vertex" in my scene if the mouse cursor was within the pixel range of that vertex. It didn't get placed there at all. It seem to be placing the vertex under the mouse cursor on the nearest world space plane that it hits (But I am not entirely sure).
I would really like to see this work in the 3-D view, I don't really think it would benefit me in the 2-D windows.
Am I using this feature in the right way? Am I even thinking about it correctly?
Old 12th July 2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Tonka
Advanced member

It sound slike you are using it correctly, but i think its just harder to hit the right point when using it 3d view. I certainly cannot get a useful result when using it on 3d view, but i do most of my initial mesh building in the 2d views anyway.
Old 14th July 2011, 01:36 AM   #10
jpadgett

I think I understand now - this quote from Andy above shows the way

"It will only work in 3D if you do not adjust the view between adding the initial vertices and the new ones that snap on to them..."

That is what I am seeing. It works in the 2D view, and only in the 3D view with verticies that are placed in the world before ANY changes to the 3D view orientation or position.

That being said...

I would find it EXTREMELY useful to have a function in the 3D view for creating polygons that would snap to the vertex that is nearest to the mouse cursor as seen from the current view orientation (and to ANY vertex in the world, not only to the vertecies placed there before changing the orientation)
This seems like a pretty simple thing to calculate (and thus to implement), however the computational complexity could get large with a lot of verticies in the world. Limiting the checks to only visible and unlocked objects would probably help this.

I can get by handily without this, there is always more than one way to do things, but I know I would find it very convenient.

BTW, thanks for a great and inexpensive product to the developers of this tool.