Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th January 2004, 08:28 PM   #1
Steven
Advanced member

Default AC3D AND BUMP MAPPING???

Is it possible to do bump mapping with AC3D?
...That is adding the texture + bump mag texture to the object. And then see the result on the 3D view.

Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D AND BUMP MAPPING???

Not yet. It may be possible to add povray commands in AC3D objects to tell Povray to render bumps?

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2004, 09:16 AM   #3
-WOODY-
Professional user

If you mean using bump maps for surface normals, then that has already been discussed to some extent here http://www.ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320.
You wont be able to see the result in real-time from within AC3D, but you can see the effects after you render using Pov-Ray.
Along with using image files to get the bump map effect, there is also other surface normal patterns and effects that you can use to get different results. Just look in the "Pov-Ray for newbies" guide in the Resources section toward the bottom. There is a listing of different effects that you can enter into the object's property box. One example, normal { bumps .4 scale 2 }.
Old 11th January 2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Steven
Advanced member

Thanks for thoses suggestions Andy and Woody.

I have the intention to use mainly my AC3D's models for video games. Therefore, I do not intend to use rendering applications such as PovRay. At least not yet; I may always revise my intentions later on, rendering can still by usefull after all.

However, if AC3D can allow to place the "texture" plus "bumping map" on the model that would be fine. If I use one of these 3D programming package, it will be easy to visualize the end results. Of course, I see bump mapping as the icing on a cake. This is the kind of feature you add once you have a fully functionnal game concept. Then you 'polish' the graphics and other aspects of the game.

Since I do not have a 3D programming package right now, it is not quite urgent for me. But this feature would definitely be useful for those who program games and use or have the intention to use AC3D to design there 3D models.

Maybe you already have an idea of the type of AC3D users there is out there and how many of them use it for making video games.

Thanks very much

Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2004, 03:36 PM   #5
LiveWire
Professional user

Im using AC3D for Game Programing purpose, and i agree that Bump Mapping option would be very useful.

ive just posted some suggestions(with game dev in mind) in the sugestions folder.

http://www.ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=337

Philip
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote