Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2008, 06:35 PM   #1
tbd
Professional user

Default Tutorial creating worn metal

Requested by headerko. Not that difficult actually. This is the way I do it. There is some free texture sites on the net with nice metal texture photos for download. cgtextures.com is on of them. They also got some very nice tutorials there with texture creating in mind.

You can also use a digital camera and take your own textures if you have that . I am now combining two textures to get what I want. Download met1 and met2.jpg in this post to try for yourself.

1. Open met1.jpg and met2.jpg in a paint proggy. I'm using Paintshop pro.

2. I have already taken the saturatin down a bit on met1 for you. This is a matter of taste and what you are looking for.

3. Now copy met2 and paste it as a new layer on met1.

4. Select the met2 layer and change the blend mode on the layer to luminance.

5. And thats actually it. It can be that simple. Or you can add another texture to what you already have.

6. Like adding met2a. Be sure to get the met2a on top of the layers and change blend mode to, lets say multiply. The options are many and only imagination is the limit. By combining and changing blend mode and transparency and using the clone brush you can get pretty ok textures.

7.Bellow are the textures I used.
Attached Images

Last edited by tbd; 18th July 2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: typo
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
tbd
Professional user

Default Re: Tutorial creating worn metal

And here are the resoults this has produced. Hope this has been helpful headerko
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2008, 06:17 AM   #3
headerko

Yes ! Thank you very much :) Everything helps me atm, got hardly time to open AC3D :( This post really helped a lot, thou, theres still one thing i dont understand. How do i apply such texture to a whole big model? somhow you need to replicate it along the surfaces right ? :P
headerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 02:05 PM   #4
tbd
Professional user

Ok, I will try to explain how I map textures, and this is how I did it on Diablo.

Pic1. First I used the UV map plugin under tools and used the box setting to get the texture mapped as a base. Here is the thread where you can download it if you don’t have it. UVMAP Windows only I think.

Pic2. This is how the surfaces are being laid out with box mapping. I do this to fill all the nooks and crevices on the model, so I can just take the big surfaces that are much more visible. You cant see the small almost hidden stuff on finished renders.

Pic3. In surface mode you select the surfaces you want to change. On this model I could take it in quite big chunks. It’s all up to how the model looks like.

Pic4-5. Select the surfaces in the TCE and in the remap section click top. Now the surfaces are mapped from the top down. Also you see a distortion in the texture on the model (you may want to use the inspect button to get a clearer view, the button with the eye).

This distortion is there because of the top down mapping. If you look in the TCE on the vertices on each side, you see that they are closer to each other than the rest. This is because of the top down view. So you have to select the vertices and drag them out a bit. Just so much so they match the distance on the rest of the surfaces. You do this on both sides. Now you see? The distortion is gone.

Pic6. And that is how you map the rest of your model. You can resize and move the surfaces as you like. Those two surfaces are remapped looking left. And so on. This is what I will call uv mapping light.

Pic7. That brings me over to this type of texture that for me is the real uvmapping style. But it’s not more difficult to do. It’s all the same. Select surfaces and place over the appropriate part on the texture. Soooo, I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1081  

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1082  

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1083  

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1084  

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1085  

Last edited by tbd; 18th July 2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 18th July 2008, 02:06 PM   #5
tbd
Professional user

The rest of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1086  

Attached Images

Old 23rd July 2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Klyde
Professional user

Wonderful tutorial here. I appreciate you sharing this, I learned alot. I use materials mostly and try to stay away from images bonded to the surface of the object. But; my friend when I do use a 'texture' this info is tops. Again ty.
Old 26th October 2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Dzemo
Advanced member

I have been playing around with both tutorials here.

How do I get more than one texture on the object though?

So lets say I have windows on the cockpit, I use the metal texture for the body but then the window gets textured with the same.
Dzemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
tbd
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzemo View Post
I have been playing around with both tutorials here.

How do I get more than one texture on the object though?
Well, its two ways you can do this.
One: You can select the surfaces you want the second texture on and use the "cut away object" option in surface mode. that way your model gets two object, and you can use another texture on that.

Two: You can combine the texture in one picture so when you have put the texture on the model just select the surfaces and in the texture coordinate editor pull the surfaces to the place you want them.